PDA

View Full Version : engine bogging in '88 Saltare

irishleacher
01-19-2016, 10:31 PM
I need some advice,
I have a 1988 Saltare, and last season summer '15, when the gas tank was around 1/2 full, and we were pulling people on tubes the engine would bog down and lose power. I changed the filter and it would fix the problem for a while, but eventually after a couple days on the lake it would do it again. I kept changing the filter and it would solve the problem for the time being. I sucked the tank almost completely empty, but that didn't fix the problem completely. Should I be looking for a new tank, or take it to have it professionally cleaned out? Or what other options should I consider?

SuperSam
01-20-2016, 08:31 AM
With an engine your problems are either fuel spark or air and its pretty safe to assume air is not the problem.... when u change the filter does it seem dirty? It isnt always obvious but if its clogging every couple of days I would expect to see something in it... and if thats the case then u might have crap in ur gas tank. Open up ur locker in the back and take out the fiberglass bin and under should be ur fuel tank unscrew the sending unit for the gage and use a flashlight and see if u can see any thing in there if you can you will have to.remove and clean it also check fuel lines to be clear...could also be you need to rebuild carb... I had a similar issue except it would happen after a couple hours on the lake and I thought it was a fuel problem cause changing the filter helped but it was actually spark my coil would overheat when out for a while and changing the filter gave it time to cool and things would run.better then... sorry for the long post hope it helps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

wotan2525
01-21-2016, 02:04 PM
I agree -- rebuild the carb and do a basic tune-up first. Then try running the engine from an aux. tank (5 gallon gas can works just fine.) That should tell you if your problem is junk in your tank or not.

irishleacher
01-23-2016, 06:04 PM
Sounds like a plan, Thanks for the quick response.