PDA

View Full Version : Was it worth restoring a 1987 comp?

alwaysin2something
01-24-2016, 11:26 PM
I'm looking for a little feedback on a comp project I just finished up as this was the first attempt of a boat project of this scale. I already have a 1997 Supra Vision (in purple) but have always liked the comps since I worked for supra back in 88-90's and this color scheme was low as I don't remember many of the brown and eggshell color being produced.

If you have any questions or suggestions about the few pics posted please ask as I have many more of the process.

Thanks,
Scott

dusty2221
01-25-2016, 11:09 AM
The new interior is gorgeous. Very nice!

Salty87
01-25-2016, 04:23 PM
http://memesvault.com/wp-content/uploads/Friday-Movie-Meme-Damn-02.jpg

wow, looks fantastic!

If it's worth it to you then it was worth it.

scottschmitt
01-25-2016, 09:55 PM
Great work there. Worth it just to sit on that sharp-looking vinyl.

michael hunter
01-26-2016, 05:29 PM
How much do you have in it? Strictly going by resale compared to investment cost you will be very lucky to break even. If you factor in the pride of bringing a classic back to life I don't think you can put a price on that .

alwaysin2something
01-26-2016, 07:32 PM
Thanks! I was excited about the interior as when it was finished. Good to have friends that are very talented!

alwaysin2something
01-26-2016, 07:44 PM
I'm hoping I can at least break even as I done it for the experience as a project that my son's help me do a lot of the demo. At 13 & 10 they didn't think it was work so we made games out of the disassembly and floor/foam removal.

What would an 87 with 500hrs and complete refurbish bring on the market? I've only put on craigslist once and received many offers and trades but this was during Nov/Dec timing so I didn't expect top dollar. With the prices I see people asking for partial or no work done on a comp, I was hoping to make a small profit for my labor that I didn't factor in on the project list. What makes this boat a bit more special is I had two of the best at their trades (interior designs & custom work) and work experience from either Supra (Skiers Choice) or Mastercraft boat companies here in East TN help me with making sure it was the best it could be.

Thanks,

MJHKnox
01-26-2016, 07:51 PM
How much do you have in it? Strictly going by resale compared to investment cost you will be very lucky to break even. If you factor in the pride of bringing a classic back to life I don't think you can put a price on that .

I agree with this. Very similar to dumping a bunch of money into a hot-rod. You don't get it out.

The after pics are much better w/o those colorful strips down the side of the boat and across the interior engine cover. Cleaner look.

Hagman
01-27-2016, 10:44 AM
Nicely done. I've never seen a comp that color. What brand are your speakers? I think with most restoration projects of this type making money is not the goal. I agree Most of the time you'll be lucky to breakeven. And just to be contrary I miss the classic supra stripe and wave.

alwaysin2something
01-28-2016, 10:34 PM
Nicely done. I've never seen a comp that color. What brand are your speakers? I think with most restoration projects of this type making money is not the goal. I agree Most of the time you'll be lucky to breakeven. And just to be contrary I miss the classic supra stripe and wave.

Thanks! The speakers are Polk audio 615s that I got off amazon. They sound great and great price as I have them in my 97 as well with a powered sub.

I also debated the classic blue wave but definately was not going back with the rainbow stripes.... I wanted to keep the clean look. Hopefully when it's seen on the water it will catch someone's eye.

alwaysin2something
01-28-2016, 11:25 PM

Trying to post a few more pics...

lmnelson86
01-29-2016, 12:21 AM
Your boat is beautiful....nice work! Well worth it!

01-29-2016, 12:32 AM
that boat is sweet man great job toys are always worth it but boat looks like it will brig top dollar 7-10 ( pulled that out of my A)

BigCity444
01-29-2016, 05:36 PM
One of a kind! Very nice job to restore it from the past and bring some current style trends.

bens250ex
02-05-2016, 10:31 AM
Soooooooooo you worked for supra back in the days of shotty stringer designs........ can we blame you for all the failures??? Just curious though what was the method of doing stringers....let the blind man do the glass work?? lol sorry had to bring it up don't take it seriously! :)

bens250ex
02-05-2016, 10:33 AM
one good looking comp though, what weight and brand of carpet is that? I like how plush it looks

alwaysin2something
02-14-2016, 05:34 PM
I fully understand but I cant take the blame for all the stringer issues as i done about everything except lay the glass on the stringers.....but I know several that did!! Probably didn't think about that in the summer months as it would reach 100+ in that metal building!

As for the carpet, I belive it is the 20oz that is used in today's Bryant color schemes...it is very comfortable on the feet...

Have a good one!