PDA

View Full Version : Odd floor joint movement - 97 Supra comp hull

Squatch
01-27-2016, 10:19 AM
I removed my carpet to replace it and found something strange..

Anyone have any idea what would cause the outer part of the floor by the driver's seat and floor pan to heave? The center part of the floor covering the bilge is resting on the stringer like it should. The raised part will lower some with my weight on it but not all the way. Seems like something has it under tension. The outside hull is in beautiful shape. No evidence of anything but good care. The boat is on its factory trailer as well.

This boat is 1997. Shouldn't have any wood to rot out.

crystal waters
01-27-2016, 11:51 AM
I removed my carpet to replace it and found something strange..

Anyone have any idea what would cause the outer part of the floor by the driver's seat and floor pan to heave? The center part of the floor covering the bilge is resting on the stringer like it should. The raised part will lower some with my weight on it but not all the way. Seems like something has it under tension. The outside hull is in beautiful shape. No evidence of anything but good care. The boat is on its factory trailer as well.

This boat is 1997. Shouldn't have any wood to rot out.

Difficult to call without seeing in person.
That said could it be improper floor installation at time of manufacture where the outer edge of floor was fit or trimmed to fit correctly when placed.

Squatch
01-27-2016, 02:27 PM
So I guess I need to see if some fasteners will pull that piece down to the stringer? Not to excited about that idea.

crystal waters
01-27-2016, 08:26 PM
To my eye it appears the length of that piece needs to be shaved at one edge or the other to properly fit in place.
It seems it was installed being too long and thus bowing in the middle therefore giving you flex on that piece.
If my assumption ( and that is all it is ) is true then you need to cut around the edges to free that piece and trim the back and or front of that piece to fit properly.
Reinstall and reglasss the edges in place.
----- or can you simply trim the back edge of that piece while in place to shorten it to drop into proper fit and flatten . Then glass in only that one edge you trimmed.

chris young
01-28-2016, 10:40 AM
One other possibility, I'm assuming your seat is screwed to the floor there. The backward tilt force on the seat when you're accelerating on to plane will pull pretty hard on the floor. If it wasn't bonded to the stringers properly over time, the seat will just yank the floor up. My seat is definitely moving exactly in this manner (84 Rider) but of course I've got rot and a cobbled floor over that spot.

foxriverat
01-28-2016, 08:04 PM
You will have to find the screws that are covered in center panel. Take out panel and put some spacers in there to bring level. Also check your pylon mount while you have panel out. Here's mine in my 96 https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?17820-Pylon-mount-cracked

NorCalPR
03-13-2016, 02:57 PM
My 98 comp had bowed floors like thay. My fix?

Remove the floor, and put an aluminum angle iron underneath. Bolt the floor to the angle iron.

Makes it much more ridged and takes the bow out

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk