PDA

View Full Version : Yet another ballast question.

onebadgt
02-03-2016, 10:42 PM
So bare with me guys, I know there are so many threads related to ballast options. I have searched quite a bit to get info and most of what I read up on is in regards to surf weight which I'm not interested in at this point, I want huge wake boarding wake.

I own a 2004 supra launch 22. SSV. The boat comes factory with 600lb center ballast and 250 in each rear corner. I am debating about swapping out the center bag for a fly high 1180lb sac. I may consider swapping the rear corners to the fly high 565 bags but don't know how beneficial they would be for wake boarding only. On a typical day I have at least 5-6 people in the boat sometimes more.

I guess my questions are,

-from what you guys have seen or heard would upgrading the center sac from 600 to 1180 make a significant difference in wake?

-do you think the 565 corners would be neccesary with the upgraded center considering my normal crowd?

-lastly I still have factory ballast system ( sprinkler style fillers), do you think it's necessary to upgrade those If I change bags?

Thanks for any input!

CJD
02-04-2016, 01:39 PM
Any weight you add...passengers or water...will increase your wake for the better.

It is not necessary to change out the sprinkler valves. Obviously the newer positive displacement pumps are head and shoulders better and more reliable, but at about $3k to change over, it's really not worth it as an upgrade. The system you have works fine, just slower...and MUCH cheaper to fix when a pump goes out!

MJHKnox
02-04-2016, 02:14 PM
For wake boarding and your hull, you get more from weight up front and center. So that center ballast will help.

Not sure how much the back ballast will help. You would add > 250#, should not hurt.

Sprinkler valves will work. I know people that use them on ballast upgrades. That 1100# will take time.

I do not regret when I removed the sprinkler valves and replaced them with Johnson pumps. Great upgrade.

Probably adds a little value in the long run. Or resale appeal. If you had 2 boats sitting for sale. Same models, both 2004s. One had upgraded ballast and pumps and one didn't. What would the average person looking to buy a boat lean towards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wulphie
02-04-2016, 02:16 PM
As a general rule the more weight you add towards the rear the steeper the wake, the more weight you add towards the front the wake will have more of a ramp. If you add evenly the shape should stay the same just get bigger.

More weight will require more speed to get the boat to plane and clean up the face of the wake too.

bslakhh
02-05-2016, 05:12 PM
So bare with me guys, I know there are so many threads related to ballast options. I have searched quite a bit to get info and most of what I read up on is in regards to surf weight which I'm not interested in at this point, I want huge wake boarding wake.

I own a 2004 supra launch 22. SSV. The boat comes factory with 600lb center ballast and 250 in each rear corner. I am debating about swapping out the center bag for a fly high 1180lb sac. I may consider swapping the rear corners to the fly high 565 bags but don't know how beneficial they would be for wake boarding only. On a typical day I have at least 5-6 people in the boat sometimes more.

I guess my questions are,

-from what you guys have seen or heard would upgrading the center sac from 600 to 1180 make a significant difference in wake?

-do you think the 565 corners would be neccesary with the upgraded center considering my normal crowd?

-lastly I still have factory ballast system ( sprinkler style fillers), do you think it's necessary to upgrade those If I change bags?

Thanks for any input!
This is what I did

http://www.specificgravity1.com/2015/12/31/ballast-update-08-supra-launch/

Also larger bags allows you more flexibility to shift weight around to balance the boat. With a precise valve system you can get the best clean/big wake at lower speeds.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

DaFuzz144
04-26-2017, 08:45 AM
Did you end up using the 1180 center sac? If so were you happy, did it fit?
Thanks

trayson
04-26-2017, 12:53 PM
I have a 2008 XLV with the basement locker under the playpen. I upgraded from the 600 to the 1180 gravity bag. I REALLY like that bag. in fact, most the time when I wakeboard, I'm totally fine with just the 1180 bag. the wake has a great shape and it's decent sized and I just enjoy it a lot.

I think this is just the 1180.
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/IMG_3615_zpsa3skq608.jpg

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/rear%20ballast_zpstc0nhnc9.jpg

I have the 1100 rear bags and sometimes I'll fill those about 1/2 way for wakeboarding.

Not sure what setup this was. but it was one of the two I described above.
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/IMG_20160914_183706607_zpsx193b25k.jpg

I usually ride at 21.5mph