PDA

View Full Version : Packing

Jester4wazzu
02-18-2016, 04:25 PM
Hey looking for some resources that could guide me in replacing the packing for my 1997 supra vision. It seems to be taking on a steady small amount of water and I figured that is the best place to start. Haven't been able to find any tutorials or videos besides newer malibus. Thanks for the help.

chris young
02-19-2016, 09:53 AM
This is a good one, don't know your boat specifically, but it's the same deal I'm sure.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box&page=1

tripster
02-19-2016, 10:01 AM
It should drip a little as in a drop every 2 or 3 seconds. If more water than that order packing from Skidim. They can tell you 1/4" or 3/16" packing. Cut packing to exact length around the shaft like an o ring. My comp stuffing box would only take 2 pieces, some I believe will hold 3. When packing put butt joints at 12:00 and 6:00 and if third piece is needed put it at 9:00 or 3:00. That way the butt joints aren't overlapped. Then tighten Nut on stuffing box until you have a 1 drip about every two or three seconds.

CJD
02-19-2016, 10:04 AM
Try adjusting the nut first. You may not need to re-pack, but merely to adjust the nut. If the nut if very tight and it still leaks too much, then time to re-pack.

tripster
02-19-2016, 10:11 AM
You are correct CJD. I got ahead of myself there.

Jester4wazzu
02-23-2016, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the help guys I will get into it in the coming weeks and check out the nut and then maybe tackle a re-pack if it comes to that.

SquamInboards
02-25-2016, 10:10 AM
This is a good one, don't know your boat specifically, but it's the same deal I'm sure.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box&page=1

That link above is a great write-up, probably a lot more than you ever wanted to know, but I've read it and recommended it to others lots of times.

If you do go the route of re-packing, I have to recommend the Teflon packing rope (skidim carries it). It runs just as cool as regular packing rope but you can adjust it to drip less. You still want a little drip but it can be significantly reduced with the Teflon stuff.

chris young
02-26-2016, 11:33 AM
I wholeheartedly agree. That's what I used. I originally made it too tight, but caught it soon enough not to damage anything. My rule of thumb is to adjust it until it runs warm to the touch but not hot, that'll keep as little water coming in as possible without wearing the shaft.

SquamInboards
02-29-2016, 01:52 PM
I wholeheartedly agree. That's what I used. I originally made it too tight, but caught it soon enough not to damage anything. My rule of thumb is to adjust it until it runs warm to the touch but not hot, that'll keep as little water coming in as possible without wearing the shaft.

This, and I always check it after a few hours of run time. Sometimes I do not have to re-adjust, but most often I do need to tweak it after a few hours, or a few days. Good practice to check it every once in a while anyway.