PDA

View Full Version : Speedo problem - 2007 Supra 21v

b3nno
02-22-2016, 09:48 AM
Hi Guys,

I've just bought a 2007 supra 21v. It has a gps perfect pass which I think is connected to the speedo. Anyway, the speedo is sometimes flipping all the way around to the max on the dial, then returns to 0. This is only occurring when the boat is idling or reversing. The problem is if this happens while you are pulling a rider out, the PP slows the engine down because it thinks you are too fast.

Most explanations for speedo malfunction involve the paddle wheel. Boat is currently in the water so will check that in a few days when I pull it out but I'm thinking it's something to do with gps signal. It has the puck on the dash in front of the driver.

Sorry for the novel, I just can't find any info on these symptoms online. Let me know what you all think.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onebadgt
02-22-2016, 07:17 PM
9 times out of 10 this is a paddle wheel issue. Does it stay very consistent when your moving or does it bounce around. The other 1/10 it could be a short or bad connection in the wiring harness. I have a 04 supra SSV and I have had each of those issues at one point or another.

b3nno
02-22-2016, 09:36 PM
When idling, ready to pull the skier up, it just flips around to 50mph then slowly comes back down to zero. It's got the gps puck in the dash so does that mean the paddle wheel is usually disconnected?

Diggs
02-25-2016, 12:49 AM
Are you sure it has GPS perfect pass? In 2007 it should have been paddle wheel if my memory serves me correct. Maybe someone added it or maybe I am just wrong...
Take a good look at your paddle wheel

b3nno
02-25-2016, 08:26 AM
Hi guys

Boat is on the trailer tonight so had a look at the paddle wheel. It spins freely and looks fine. In the morning I'll get my son to spin it and I will measure the output from in the boat. Stay tuned!

b3nno
02-25-2016, 08:28 AM
Hi Diggs
I think the previous owner retrofitted it but I could wrong. There is definitely a puck on the back of the dash. It has an orange light on the side. Previous owner said during calibration it tells you how many satellites it sees.

Diggs
02-25-2016, 12:48 PM
I would have someone check it out. There was always a puck on the dash for the dash for the satellite radio. I don't remember any lights or any of that stuff though. Good luck figuring it out.
maybe some pics? It had a digital dash in 07 so not sure how they would have done all this. I imagine the dash ran off the paddlewheel. Post some pics of your dash if you have it and that puck and see if we can figure it out.

b3nno
02-29-2016, 09:40 AM
Ok so an update. Previous owner fitted the aftermarket nautilus gps to the perfect pass. The paddle wheel failed so then he upgraded. I think he may have had the kdw filter set too high. I've got the nautilus instructions and the perfect pass instructions all together now. I've turned the filter down to where nautilus recommend and will try it out when she goes back in the water tomorrow.
Thanks for the help so far!