PDA

View Full Version : Removing super traps

Hagman
02-28-2016, 11:45 PM
86 comp
I have been on this forum for several years now. I know you guys and talked about removing your super traps but I’ve never really paid attention to how anyone has done it. I tried searching forum and I couldn’t find anywhere someone has actually completed the task and how they did it.
Before boating season begins this year once again I need to reseal my super traps. I’ve been toying with the idea of removing the super traps and installing slide in glass pack baffles with rubber flaps. Since supra designed the stainless steal 3 inch pipes cut off pretty much flush with the transom there needs to be some sort of seal installed leaving somewhere around three quarters of an inch of exhaust pipe to clamp flaps to. Hoping one of you guys out there is an ingenious idea that would make this an easy task.

Jetlink
02-29-2016, 12:24 PM
What I did to my Comp to address the issue before I replaced the entire exhaust system from the risers back was as follows. I went to a local muffler shop and got a section of metal pipe in a diameter just smaller than the existing pipe that exits the hull. You have to cut out the bracket that is in the pipe and has the threaded bolt attached to it or cut off the threaded bolt flush or as close to flush as you feel comfortable. I then notched the smaller diameter pipe to allow it to fit over the bracket that is farther up the pipe so I could get a good bond and seal. I sealed it with 4200 adhesive and had allowed it to cure before I did the same with the section of pipe I got that was the same diameter as the 3 inch pipe coming out the hull. I sealed it with 4200 and allowed it to cure. Then I installed flappers and sealed them with 4200 both to the pipe and against the hull and tightened the hose clamp. The reason I elected to use 4200 was that I knew I was going to be taking this all apart within a year or two when I did my cap off restoration and I didn't want to have to deal with 5200. The "fix" I did I view as a temporary fix however, I no longer had my bilge running as frequently and my boat was drier than before the fix so I feel confident in my "patch" to buy me a few more seasons before I tore it all apart. If you follow my lead, I would also stick with the 4200 as you mention possibly installing new exhaust and the 4200 will seal it but also allow you to take it apart later on if needed.

Hagman
03-06-2016, 11:16 PM
16897Thank you jet link for your input .
16893168941689516896Well I decided to get busy and get rid of my super traps here’s what I came up with.
I went to the local stainless steel fabricator there actual forte is building vats for making beer. I drew up a simple sketch for the plant engineer he told me no problem I can have them ready for you tomorrow. One day later and $125 I was pretty happy with the end result. I found the rubber flaps on eBay $22. I spent Saturday and Sunday this weekend doing the install hopefully I can finish it up next weekend. I was really surprised that my 30 year old foam was not wet. The only place I found it moist at all was right up next to the super traps.

Jetlink
03-07-2016, 02:10 AM
No problem, it looks like you ended up cutting the old pipe inside the transom and then bridging the gap with 3" exhaust hose. Is that correct? That is what my new setup is basically only I ditched the all metal exhaust for fiberglass mufflers that are both quieter and much lighter than what I took out.

Hagman
03-09-2016, 12:09 AM
Yes exactly rite. I cut out 5 inches of stainless steel pipe.Cutting the bottom side of the pipe proved to be a real challenge. I went through about 8 Dremel blades to cut the pipe from the inside. Filled in the gap with 8 inches exhaust tubing. Which gave about 2 1/2" inches per end for a seal. Today I inserted 30 inch glass pack baffles. I wasn't sure if it would work well so I picked up 2-30 inch glass packs from the local muffler shop cut them open remove the baffle and the glass packing .Then I had the muffler guy expand the ends of the baffle so they would just barely fit inside the existing stainless steel exhaust pipe. I'm aware that the aluminized steel baffle will probably rust out quickly. But if I like what it sounds like they're easy to remove and replace them with stainless next winter. Plus it gives me the option to re-pack the glass pack if needed. I fired up the engine this afternoon and ran it for about 20 minutes there's a definite noticeable drop in sound omissions. I hope I like what it sounds like when I hit the water. The muffler guy told me I would be able to tune the sound by moving the baffle from the front to the back.I'm sure I'll give it a try I like to tinker.Getting the exhaust warm also gave me a chance to somewhat check for leaks and re-tighten the hose clamps before covering up my work. Hopefully I will never see them again.