PDA

View Full Version : salt water operation advice needed

Clivekillops
03-01-2016, 01:56 AM
I have always used my 91 combrio in freshwater and now want to launch in a tidal river. Besides the obvious flushing after use, any other tips?

should I install a saltwater system to avoid salt water in my manifolds? or will flushing be sufficient?

Wulphie
03-01-2016, 06:30 AM
How much salt is in the water? Some tidal water ways have very little salt, it depends on how much current the river has.

Look to see if NOAA has a buoy in the area. I use this one. . . http://buoybay.noaa.gov/locations/susquehanna

cadunkle
03-05-2016, 05:11 PM
I boat on a tidal river almost exclusively (the Delaware) but am upriver of the "salt water line". Of course it's somewhat brackish and salinity varies on tides and rainfall, but In several years I've not noticed any rust or corrosion issues from a quick flush on the hose after each day on the water. Sometimes I'm lazy and don't do it if I get home late, but only because salt content is so low where I go. Depends on how close to the ocean you area as to whether it's a serious concern or not.

jarodag99
03-06-2016, 06:08 PM
May want to think about your trailer too. It's easy to think about the boat but it will do a number on your trailer if it's too salty. Unfortunately no matter how much you rinse it down you'll never get inside it rinsed.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

cadunkle
03-06-2016, 09:40 PM
Indeed. The few times I've launched in actual salt water I've gone an hour or so out of my way on the way home to dunk the trailer in "fresh" water then hosed it down after. There isn't really a solution, particularly if you've on a boxed frame trailer like factory Supra, aside from sell yours before it rots to nothing and buy a galvanized or aluminum C channel trailer so you can thoroughly clean it every time after it sees salt. That or use a marina that will life it by rings or sling to launch so the trailer rarely sees salt. Whether it's an issue totally depends on how salty your tidal river is.

Clivekillops
03-07-2016, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the advice
A flush every evening is easy and a freshwater bath on the way home at the end of the week is easily achieved.

Now to install my fish finder to keep an eye on the depth in a new environment.

cadunkle
03-15-2016, 11:11 PM
On the depth finder I used a "through hull" transducer that I epoxied to the hull. Not the type that you need to drill a hole. Works well. Fit nicely under the trans/driveshaft and always water back there so gets good readings.