PDA

View Full Version : 2013 SA 450 with aftermarket Wakeland Surf System

bradycanderson
03-09-2016, 01:14 AM
Hi Everyone - I purchased and had the wakeland surf system installed on my 2013 SA 450 Worlds. I haven't been satisfied with how I've been able to configure the waves yet. I wanted to reach out to see if anyone has any tips for me.

I have the 750 lbs bags in the rear. I also added 300 pound bags under the passanger seats along the sides of the boat. I have the factory ballast up front (500 lbs I believe). I surf starboard side of the boat. I dial in 3 bars on the right of the controller, and 0 on the left. My speed is set at 10.3. This gets me a decent wave, but honestely not any better than the wave without the surf system on so I gotta believe I'm not doing something right.

Any suggestions on how to dial things in? I'm more interested in a barrel shaped wave than a skim. Any help is very much appreciated. The attached image shows how I currently have things configured.

-Brady16905

trayson
03-09-2016, 01:12 PM
So you're a goofy surfer?

You're deploying the surf system tab on the opposite side that you're surfing on, right? It didn't seem clear from what I read above.

sivs1
03-09-2016, 10:38 PM
Following as I will soon take delivery of almost the same boat, SA 450 with after market wake land surf system. Curious of the results/suggestions

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MJHKnox
03-10-2016, 09:54 PM
Following as I will soon take delivery of almost the same boat, SA 450 with after market wake land surf system. Curious of the results/suggestions

I'm getting the tabs installed my 2007 22' SSV.
I bet many people have not installed them (yet), so there is limited info out there. I do not see much posted on other sites.
There is more interest and discussion, so I'm betting more info will be posted when the boats come out of the winter slumber.

Troyp
03-10-2016, 10:24 PM
So you're a goofy surfer?

You're deploying the surf system tab on the opposite side that you're surfing on, right? It didn't seem clear from what I read above.
Sounds to me like he's putting goofy side down also instead of opposite side

4alkings
03-10-2016, 11:39 PM
I'm getting the tabs installed my 2007 22' SSV.
I bet many people have not installed them (yet), so there is limited info out there. I do not see much posted on other sites.
There is more interest and discussion, so I'm betting more info will be posted when the boats come out of the winter slumber.

Who is doing your installation? I have tried contacting wakeland multiple times with no success.

bradycanderson
03-11-2016, 01:22 PM
Yes - I'm a goofy surfer. I've tried both. I'm wondering if I'm weighting the boat all wrong. What's your thoughts on best approach to weight the boat with this system?

-Brady

WB_TX
03-21-2016, 10:02 PM
I have recently added the Wakeland surf system on my 2013 Supra Launch 242 and I'm having similar issues with improving the wake. If I just weigh down all ballasts and try to use the tabs, I have a very washed out wake. I've tried numerous scenarios for regular side (left) and the only thing that somewhat works so far is: left tab down 2-3 bars on left side with 50% ballast up front, 100% ballast left rear and 30-40% ballast on right seems to deliver a decent surf wake, but I honestly don't see much of an improvement over changing to 0 surf tab down. In fact, I've noticed the tabs seem to make the wake a bit shallower, so I know I'm missing some kinda key step.
I'm sure there must be some secret setup to get a better wake over zero tabs and open to any advice you guys have.

-WB

trayson
03-22-2016, 06:12 PM
Yes - I'm a goofy surfer. I've tried both. I'm wondering if I'm weighting the boat all wrong. What's your thoughts on best approach to weight the boat with this system?

-Brady

For goofy, try a couple scenarios:

Try everything full, and then put the PORT side surf tab down. You always deploy a surf system on the opposite side that you're surfing on because it's about delaying the convergence of the waves (by affecting the non-surfside wave).

I have recently added the Wakeland surf system on my 2013 Supra Launch 242 and I'm having similar issues with improving the wake. If I just weigh down all ballasts and try to use the tabs, I have a very washed out wake. I've tried numerous scenarios for regular side (left) and the only thing that somewhat works so far is: left tab down 2-3 bars on left side with 50% ballast up front, 100% ballast left rear and 30-40% ballast on right seems to deliver a decent surf wake, but I honestly don't see much of an improvement over changing to 0 surf tab down. In fact, I've noticed the tabs seem to make the wake a bit shallower, so I know I'm missing some kinda key step.
I'm sure there must be some secret setup to get a better wake over zero tabs and open to any advice you guys have.

-WB

Um, have you tried that weight setup with the STARBOARD surf tab down? If you're a regular surfer, then you surf on the port side with the tab deployed on the starboard side.

You guys are doing that, right?!?

WB_TX
03-24-2016, 12:41 AM
For regular surf, I've tried deploying tabs on the starboard side and still have a pretty washed out wake. It's still a work in progress, but let me know if you've had success with any other combo's.

sivs1
03-24-2016, 09:37 AM
This continues to be of great interest. As I will soon be testing this same setup. What weight bags do you have and do you also have any liquid lead? What about how many people on the boat? Water depth?

WB_TX
06-05-2016, 01:14 PM
I've been working on my setup for some time now and finally have the Wakeland Surf System working very well for me. My setup is filling up the rear ballasts (750lbs each) and the front (800lb) ballast at 80% full. I'm also adding two 400lb fat sacs that sit on the port side (rear seating). I then setup the surf tab to be 3 down on the port side, which seems opposite, but really dials in a nice big surf wake. My boat is a 2013 Launch 242.17301

bradycanderson
06-06-2016, 10:36 AM
For regular surf, I've tried deploying tabs on the starboard side and still have a pretty washed out wake. It's still a work in progress, but let me know if you've had success with any other combo's.

So now that the weather is nice again I've continued to experiment with my wakeland surf system on my SA 450 and have had zero luck. My wave was better before the surf system was installed, and has been money not well spent. I would strongly advise against this system for the SA 450. It may be great for other boats but not this one.

I've tried everything. Weighting the boat evenly and various levels - washout wave
Weighting boat primarily to one side - OK wave, but still not as good as w/o the system
Different speeds
Different weight in front and rear

So far the best thing for me to do is weight everything to one side and leave the surf system off.

Perhaps I need to plates for the swell 2.0 system instead of the smaller plates that came with my wakeland system I purchased last year. I sent a note to wakeland asking if this is a possibility.

If anyone has had luck with this system on a SA please let me know. Would love to hear it! If you have not had luck please post warnings to others about this. All in all between purchasing the system, and having the Supra dealer install I'm in it 3K and worse off. Poop.

WB_TX
06-08-2016, 09:33 PM
Brady - I feel your frustration as well and I know we have different models (2013 Launch 242), but nothing was working for me either. The trick for me was to fill both rear ballasts, plus add 800lbs of extra fat sacs to the surf side. Then I started filling up the front ballast and dialing in the Wakeland as I surfed. The best wake happened when the front ballast was around 85% full and the Wakeland had 3 tabs down on the side I was surfing. I've surfed behind the 2016 Supra's and I think my wave was comparable with this setup.
Keep in mind you want to get as much weight as possible in the rear, then add even more to the side you surf and lastly start tabbing the Wakeland down on the surf side.
Let me know if you tried this type of setup already.

MJHKnox
06-10-2016, 12:55 PM
I'm working on mine - 2007 Supra SSV 22' with 750s.
I will be adding more weight. I can toss another ballast bag on the floor or on the seat (do not like that b/c it takes up room).
May go the hidden lead bag route b/c of the density and room. I know they will be a PITA to lift out when not using or on the trailer.

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?18157-Wakeland-Surf-Tabs

MJHKnox
06-10-2016, 12:57 PM
Sounds to me like he's putting goofy side down also instead of opposite side

I put the wrong side down when I first used it. I felt like a dumb azz.

Hauliboy
06-13-2017, 10:44 PM
This continues to be of great interest. As I will soon be testing this same setup. What weight bags do you have and do you also have any liquid lead? What about how many people on the boat? Water depth?

Way over priced and I saw a worse wave after I got it installed. 2103 Supra 22v