PDA

View Full Version : Launch/Comp 20 Wake

thedog01
07-24-2007, 08:32 PM
I'm thinking of getting a Supra Launch 20. We are skiers, but would like to be able to have a good wakeboard wake as well. We took one for a test drive today, but due to a malfunction, the trim plate would only go down to about 35% or so. At that setting, the slalom wake was quite hard, the ride in the boat at skiing speeds (30-34) was choppy and the top speed was only about 38 mph (325 hp engine). A limited trim setting explains all 3 shortcomings, but I'd like to know how much better it gets with a fully functional trim plate. I wouldn't buy the boat if the ski wake doesn't get much better. Can someone who is familiar with this boat provide me some feedback like "At 35% the wake is about an X of of 10 and speed at WOT is 38 mph, but at 100%, the wake is a Y out of 10 and WOT is ZZ mph". I don't think I'm going to get another chance to take one for a spin before I make a buy next spring. Thanks

Pdowling1
07-25-2007, 07:55 AM
I have a 2006 Launch 20. It has a fairly good ski wake with the plate fully functional. I also have the 325 HP engine. If I could do it over again, I would definitely get the 340 HP, as the 325 has only marginal power, and top speed is a dissapointing 41MPH on GPS with only the driver aboard. Top speed is reached by setting the plate right about where yours was stuck, just low enough to stop porpoising, so the 38 MPH sounds about right with several people on board. Adjusting the plate will vary the top end only a little (1-2 MPH), and all the way down will lower the top end, but flatten the wake considerably. Best ski wake is at 32 MPH minimum, with the plate just above the lowes position. It gets much bigger at slower speeds, even 30 MPH gives a considerably larger bump. It NEEDS full throttle to get a slalom skier up, and forget about barefooting, it just isn't capable. This boat should come with the 340 as STANDARD equipment.
Wakeboard wake is excellent, by the way, no cmplaints there.

I previously had a '95 TS6M with the 310 EFI GT40 - I wish I still had it! That boat could pull, and left a sweeeet wake. A far better ski boat.

Pdowling1
07-25-2007, 07:57 AM
Where are you located?

thedog01
07-25-2007, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the info. That's not quite as glowing as I'd hoped. My wife skis at about 28 mph, so the need for speed would be a bigger deal for her. I'm a little faster (30-32), but won't be skiing at 36 for a few years. We witnessed the improvement in wake with speed during our demo. Interesting what you have to say about the power, it was a bit sluggish, but I assumed it was the malfunctioning plate. The 340 hp engine will add a bunch to the price, another strike against the Launch/Comp 20.

I'm in Toronto, ON, Canada.

Any opposing views?

ondwater
07-25-2007, 10:56 AM
We have a launch 20 with the 325 in it as well.Both of my daughters are slalom skiers. The youngest age nine skis at 24 and almost has the course down.The oldest thirteen skis at 30 to 32. Both ski the INt leauge and say our boat does just fine....Dont get me wrong it doesnt have the wake of a malibu lxi but it does compare to the ps197 and a nautique at those speeds. I always cary at least four people and a full fuel load when we go out and the boat will pull my 235 lbs.up on a skinny slalom with no trouble...Also we live on a sometimes rough lake and the hull is much more forgiving that most comp boats....
Hope my two cents helps.....

nopremix
07-30-2007, 11:41 PM
I have a 24ssv ( the big one) but I was interested in the slalom wake when I bought this boat. Like previously mentioned, at 32mph and above the wake is much, much better, to the point of being pretty darn good. My friend who owns a MC 197 Prostar has skied my wake and says its not too bad, compared to his.

The Launch 21, was tournament rated as a slalom boat, I would have bought it for sure, but needed the big boat for our large family and friends.

I think the 340 motor is a must and lets not forget how much difference a prop can make. My big boat will top out at 39-40 depending, but I have the wakeboard prop 14.25x14. I can pull a slalom skier up very quick, largely due to the low end torque, but I loose a bit on top in the tradeoff. I tried a couple different random props which yeilded quite a performance difference ( for the worse in my case), I could not believe how prop selection can make such a difference. I have a few more props I am going to test, and I think I can get about 5mph better on the top end, without loosing much on the bottom.
The deep keel design on the Supra is far superior on the rough water than the other boats, so be sure to consider hull design in your decision. The wake plate, when working gives you an unbelieveable amout of variation in the wake and ride.
Bottom line, make sure you get the 340 motor, choose the right prop, and you should be happy with the Supra.

Pdowling1
08-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Update to my earlier post: I put on an Ambush 4 blade 13X13 & what a difference! These boats should come with such a prop as standard equipment. I now have a much better hole shot, and increased top end by about 2 MPH (GPS) I am now topped out at 43 MPH, and can pull an adult barefooter at 39 MPH. Max RPM went from 4150 to 4600 RPM.

thedog01
08-04-2007, 11:26 AM
I read someplace that a different prop "lifts" the back of boat, improving the ski wake. Did you see that happen?

liquidfire
09-07-2007, 11:05 PM
I may be too late to help, but I have a Launch 21 w/Assault motor and it has a pretty good slalom wake. I have a HO CDX1, and run at 36 mph.
It has the 4 blade prop upgrade. It seems to run alot better than everyone has described. It will jump out of the water, and peg out the speedo past 50mph (gps). Thats why I bought this boat because I light to slalom more than wakeboard. But it does a great job at both. It has the hard ballast tank in the rear and the fat sack in the front.