PDA

View Full Version : Boat Dimensions on Trailer

SquamInboards
03-30-2016, 09:22 AM
I'm hoping someone with their boat in the garage can help me on this one. I'm looking for the dimensions of the boat as it relates to a door opening for one of those cheesy Shelter Logic tarp shelter things. The one I'm looking at is here. (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200471116_200471116) (or if the link doesn't work, http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200471116_200471116)

*My boat isn't on its trailer right now or I'd just go measure for myself.* I know my boat is about 8' wide at the widest point, and what I need to know is what is the HEIGHT at the 8' width (gunwales) when it's on the trailer. The door of these things tapers in from bottom to top, and I am concerned that the highest point that is 8' wide is only 4'7" off the ground. I know there is probably a little give with the nature of the fabric doors on these things, but I'm curious.

Here's a sweet sketch of the door opening for your viewing pleasure. Thanks in advance if anyone is able to help me out.

I would add that this shelter is not primarily for the boat. But it's going to be 28' long and 12' wide, so it would be a real bummer if the boat, which is about 23' on the trailer and only 8' wide, wouldn't fit if I ever did want to put it in there. It might just push me to get a bigger one... but the next one is 12' high which makes it... gigantic.

Jetlink
03-30-2016, 12:29 PM
My boat is still in winter storage however, working off my memory I think you are going to come up just a bit short and may need to go bigger or get a really good shoe horn.

SquamInboards
03-30-2016, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I feel like when my boat is on its trailer, the gunwale is right around chest height for me. Which is more than 4'7"... but close??

I actually looked at my drawing again and I might have screwed up the 8' width mark - it actually would be 2'7" which is even lower. I wonder if I can stretch the door opening back - it only has to be TWICE A YEAR, right? The rear guide posts will have to come off, 100% for certain.

The other thought is the more 'peak roof style' rather than rounded style of tarp shed. They probably won't shed snow as well, but the door is a full 8' wide at the top (6'5" door height) but that has me concerned about the overall HEIGHT now. My truck, which is the real prime candidate for this space, is 6'3" to the top of the roof. My tower will likely have to be completely detached from the hull, and put in the back of the boat or actually somewhere else.

Primary (summer) resident:

crystal waters
03-30-2016, 03:40 PM
I'm hoping someone with their boat in the garage can help me on this one. I'm looking for the dimensions of the boat as it relates to a door opening for one of those cheesy Shelter Logic tarp shelter things. The one I'm looking at is here. (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200471116_200471116) (or if the link doesn't work, http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200471116_200471116)

*My boat isn't on its trailer right now or I'd just go measure for myself.* I know my boat is about 8' wide at the widest point, and what I need to know is what is the HEIGHT at the 8' width (gunwales) when it's on the trailer. The door of these things tapers in from bottom to top, and I am concerned that the highest point that is 8' wide is only 4'7" off the ground. I know there is probably a little give with the nature of the fabric doors on these things, but I'm curious.

Here's a sweet sketch of the door opening for your viewing pleasure. Thanks in advance if anyone is able to help me out.

I would add that this shelter is not primarily for the boat. But it's going to be 28' long and 12' wide, so it would be a real bummer if the boat, which is about 23' on the trailer and only 8' wide, wouldn't fit if I ever did want to put it in there. It might just push me to get a bigger one... but the next one is 12' high which makes it... gigantic.

Your boat is 20 ft 10 inches long
Width at beam is 95 inches
Depth amidship is 36 inches
Draft at full stop is 20 inches

SquamInboards
03-30-2016, 09:12 PM
Depth amidship is 36 inches

Do you know what this measurement is, exactly? Depth from where to where? I'm genuinely curious, not being a jerk - it's hard to tell sometimes on the internet, I know.

I think what I've realized is, where I'm putting this "structure" is in a corner of my property in the woods tucked into the trees. So, while I don't really want a 12' high thing back there, it doesn't matter how long or wide it is. If I get the peaked-roof style, the door opening would fit anything I'd ever want to put in it, including the boat on its trailer AND the trailer guides still attached. I don't know if I'd really want to store the boat in the woods like that, even inside a shelter, but we'll see. It's cheaper than paying for storage, now that I don't work at the marina anymore.

Jetlink
03-31-2016, 12:01 AM
Just how much snowfall accumulates annually there would you guess? Also what is the color of the material used to make this? Are you up there more full time or is this a cottage? If you're there, then you could address the snowfall issue I would think pretty regularly when it happens.

SquamInboards
03-31-2016, 10:25 AM
Just how much snowfall accumulates annually there would you guess? Also what is the color of the material used to make this? Are you up there more full time or is this a cottage? If you're there, then you could address the snowfall issue I would think pretty regularly when it happens.

Snowfall... this year? There was never more than 6" on the ground. But this was a terrible winter, like among the worst (read: warmest) on record. I think I would get the green color, although it gets almost no sun where it will be. It's 75 feet from my year-round house, so I'll be able to watch it, and I do expect to have to clear snow off. It's just one more thing to do though, and winter is typically extremely busy for me, at least through mid-Feburary.

Basically, I want to wait to build a garage. But now with the "new" truck that I don't want to have in the weather all the time, and the boat - with no marina-related benefits like free boat storage... I just feel like this is a decent, inexpensive, temporary solution. And it could be a somewhat long-term boat storage solution, depending on how big the garage can be when we get there. *Kitchen first!*

crystal waters
03-31-2016, 10:52 AM
Do you know what this measurement is, exactly? Depth from where to where? I'm genuinely curious, not being a jerk - it's hard to tell sometimes on the internet, I know.

I think what I've realized is, where I'm putting this "structure" is in a corner of my property in the woods tucked into the trees. So, while I don't really want a 12' high thing back there, it doesn't matter how long or wide it is. If I get the peaked-roof style, the door opening would fit anything I'd ever want to put in it, including the boat on its trailer AND the trailer guides still attached. I don't know if I'd really want to store the boat in the woods like that, even inside a shelter, but we'll see. It's cheaper than paying for storage, now that I don't work at the marina anymore.

Depth amidship is from bottom of keel to top of the gunwale ( top side edge of hull where the deck sits on ) you will need to add the height of the deck ( usually 2 to 5 inches) to the amidship depth to get total depth ( heigth ) of boat.
I got these figures from a late 80s brochure I have that Supra printed and distributed showing each model and the specs for same.

SquamInboards
03-31-2016, 12:37 PM
Depth amidship is from bottom of keel to top of the gunwale ( top side edge of hull where the deck sits on ) you will need to add the height of the deck ( usually 2 to 5 inches) to the amidship depth to get total depth ( heigth ) of boat.
I got these figures from a late 80s brochure I have that Supra printed and distributed showing each model and the specs for same.

Thanks! Yeah that sounds familiar. I think I have one of those brochures in my boat folder. Might be an '88 but dimensions are the same.

It looks like I'll be going for the style with the 8' width at the top of the door, just to be safe. It's in the freaking woods behind my house, who cares if it's 12 feet wide or 13. My bigger concern was getting one that's 12+ feet high, I don't want that. It would then be MORE visible and more importantly, a bigger sail for when the 40 mph winds come through, which they do. The trees around will somewhat protect it, but wind is a real factor.