PDA

View Full Version : Need prop shaft help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cwb11698
03-31-2016, 02:59 PM
Good Afternoon!

I have a 1988 Supra Saltare, and I recently snapped the prop shaft after the strut. I have looked at a lot of website trying to find a new shaft at a good price. Does anybody know the proper dimensions or exactly where to find one?!?!?!?!?! I am lost!
I have the PCM 454. The coupler is good and the strut is good...just need a shaft. I talked to one company that thinks its correct but I want to be sure....

BoatDesigns.com
1" dam
48" length
standard propeller taper
1/4" key
3/4" standard thread
$295 plus S&H

Is this correct? If not please help me find somewhere trustworthy to purchase one!

Any help is appreciate!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank You!

michael hunter
03-31-2016, 03:30 PM
Google General Propeller . They build them send them your old one and they will duplicate it for you. I paid 260.00 for my Comp shaft.

cwb11698
03-31-2016, 07:13 PM
The one from the boat is only half a shaft, does that make a difference?

middlegriff1
03-31-2016, 08:41 PM
skidim.com give them a call. Im sure they have your prop shaft

michael hunter
04-01-2016, 07:31 AM
The shaft I sent them was missing just after the strut . They had no problem with that. Skidim is a good source for parts but they don't make prop shafts only retail them so they are more costly.

chris young
04-01-2016, 09:06 AM
I know you said the strut was good, and your coupler was good but if your coupler is not a split coupler you really should replace it, a new one is only about $100. The problem with these is they need to be tight, and if it's not the split type, you can't get a tight fit once it's been removed from the shaft. The other thing you should do is replace the cutlass bearings while you have the shaft out, mine was a bitch, I had to destroy it in the strut with punches and hack saws etc but I did get it out, and you can press the new one in with a piece of threaded rod and some washers or sockets. And of course my obligatory PSA, lap the new setup, and hopefully you won't get another broken shaft.

cwb11698
04-01-2016, 12:07 PM
Thank you all for your help!

bens250ex
04-03-2016, 09:53 AM
Skidim.com I ordered a custom shaft from them and it was reasonably priced. Just call and they will ask for length and such and you will be good to go.