PDA

View Full Version : New Boat

suprabad
03-31-2016, 09:46 PM

I just pick up this 92 sunsport, pretty stoked on it. Never have owned a direct drive before, was wondering what you guys could tell me about this engine. I want to change all filters and oil before summer was wondering where I could find what size filter and do most of you guys run synthetic? Any help would be great thanks!

cadunkle
03-31-2016, 10:10 PM
Motorcraft FL1A filter. Oil I used to use Valvoline 10w40 or sometimes other brands 10w40 but have been using Rotella T6 5w40 lately as it's same as I use in the trucks. I change once per year, 75-125 hours per year. These engines are not picky about oil, just use appropriate weight for temps and so oil pressure reads normal. Change the raw water pump impeller. Should be changed every 1-3 years depending on use and how OCD you are. Not sure PN for the pump on a small block. Check pull hose off intake side of trans cooler and check for weeds/obstructions to water flow. Nice looking boat, and composite stringers too!

michael hunter
04-01-2016, 07:45 AM
75-125 hours is a long time between oil changes PCM recommends 50 hours . I use Mobil 1 15w50 in all my boats it is the only weight that has all the additives for both older flat tappet and newer roller lifter engines. Any high quality oil filter will be fine. I just switched to Purolator One they are highly rated and easy to find. Remember NO Fram orange. Where are you located?

suprabad
04-01-2016, 09:03 PM
I am located in Michigan, I drove down to Indiana for the boat, its been sitting for a couple years in a heated garage but the guy who owned it took it to the dealership and got it all checked out before I came down to buy it. Have the paperwork from the dealership, only thing wrong is the blower switch is broke, which I cant seem to find a new one anywhere. I also am trying to figure out what engine I have(I hate even asking that question!) Thanks for the help

jtryon
04-01-2016, 10:56 PM
Skidim.com will have all the stuff you need. I had to replace some dash switches on mine and skidim had them. Looks like a great find, that's a composite boat so no wood stringers to worry about.

I use Valvoline VR1 racing oil which is good for flat tappet motors, and a Purolator PureOne filter. I change every 50 hours, change the tranny fluid once a season, change the impeller once a season, and plugs once a season.

Nice boat, welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suprabad
04-03-2016, 07:38 PM
After looking in my book I am not sure what size spark plugs to use? it seems to give part numbers for 14mm and 18mm. I also have looked all over skidim for my switch but cant seem to find it, but did find a lot of other stuff on there. I am pretty sure it has the 351 pro boss in it from looking at some other threads.

michael hunter
04-04-2016, 09:02 AM
Look at the spark plug if its a 5/8 hex size it will be the 14mm if its a 13/16 hex it will be the 18mm.

Straitcountry86
04-04-2016, 02:55 PM
+1 on the valvoline VR1 oil. That's the best type of oil for our flat tappet engines. Great timing on buying the boat, summer is right around the corner! I picked up my 93 Sunsport last fall. Great boat! If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pick it up for?

tripster
04-04-2016, 04:02 PM
For the switches at skidim look under electrical and the under breakers. Still not sure call them. They are very nice and knowledgeable people. If it s a problem, They probably have dealt with it.

suprabad
04-04-2016, 07:20 PM
looks like I will have to call them to see if they have the switches. And straightcountry I picked up for $5250 :) seemed like a good price. I have been looking for over a year for the right boat so jumped on this one when I saw it.

Straitcountry86
04-04-2016, 09:35 PM
Dang, that's a steal! Congrats!

jtryon
04-04-2016, 10:24 PM
Holy cow, for a composite boat that's a steal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suprabad
04-06-2016, 05:16 PM
Ya I almost felt bad for the guy selling it. almost. :) for those of you running VR1 are you using 20w 50? and this Michigan weather SUCKS! snow again today along with snow in the forecast for the rest of the week! I am ready to hit the water!

Straitcountry86
04-06-2016, 05:26 PM
Ya I almost felt bad for the guy selling it. almost. :) for those of you running VR1 are you using 20w 50? and this Michigan weather SUCKS! snow again today along with snow in the forecast for the rest of the week! I am ready to hit the water!

Yep, 20w-50. And 10-4 on the weather. It's been colder in April than it was in December! Looking at the forecast, it could be a while till we can get out there.

suprabad
04-06-2016, 05:44 PM
Ok awesome that's what I bought. So will be attempting the first oil change shortly, hopefully it goes ok. Luckily I have the boat pulled into the garage so at least I can go sit in it, listen to music and have a beer while I wait for it to get warm.

jtryon
04-07-2016, 10:27 AM
Ok awesome that's what I bought. So will be attempting the first oil change shortly, hopefully it goes ok. Luckily I have the boat pulled into the garage so at least I can go sit in it, listen to music and have a beer while I wait for it to get warm.
beer tastes better in the boat, even if it's just in the garage!

04-07-2016, 11:55 AM
Dang nice buy that should be 10-15 all day long..... persistence pays off haha I just snapped one day :) but still love my boat

suprabad
04-07-2016, 05:24 PM
Trust me if I had more cash I would of snapped a lot earlier!! I was actually looking for a mid 80s sunsport but this one popped up and I jumped on it. It was well worth the 9 hour round trip drive I think.

chris young
04-11-2016, 03:11 PM
Nice deal! I wouldn't say 10-15 all day long though. There's a guy on Ball of Spray trying to sell a very nice 1999 Nautique for 11000 and he's not getting any bites.

suprabad
04-11-2016, 07:23 PM
I figured it was probably worth about 8000. Maybe once I get done with it, it will be worth 10. You guys know anything good to patch some holes in the vinyl? They are less than the size of a dime.

trayson
04-13-2016, 02:20 PM
I use Tear-Aid vinyl repair patches. basically it's a clear heavy duty sticker. But it seems to work pretty well. yeah, there are better things out there but for quick/easy/cheap/effective, I use the tear aid.

http://www.amazon.com/Tear-Aid-Repair-Type-Vinyl-Kit/dp/B01764TL20

I can find them at my local grocery/variety store for around $8.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81kZrB5W7pL._SL1500_.jpg

suprabad
04-17-2016, 05:09 AM
Thanks Trayson, I have been looking at your old threads on your sunsport, what was your final ballast set up for wakesurfing?

trayson
04-17-2016, 01:16 PM
Thanks Trayson, I have been looking at your old threads on your sunsport, what was your final ballast set up for wakesurfing?

First off, on this boat you NEED to have a surf system. i don't really care if it's a NSS replica like I did, a ghetto gate, the Ronix Wake shaper, or surf tabs like Wakemakers Wave Control. you just need something.

Then you need to have a platform that doesn't dig in your wave.

Beyond that, I had 750's on each side of the doghouse, the 380 tube sack under the rear seat, and a little 150 pound mini bag put whereever you think it'd do the most good (cooler, surfside corner, whatever. That's what I ran before I sold it.

suprabad
04-19-2016, 07:33 PM
I'm gonna try a ghetto gate and a couple 750s, did you make or buy a new platform?

trayson
04-19-2016, 07:47 PM
I'm gonna try a ghetto gate and a couple 750s, did you make or buy a new platform?

I made it, using the factory brackets.

Here is the first one I made for my Supra (really a prototype)
https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?15710-Custom-Surf-Platform-build&highlight=surf+platform

And here is the better one I did for my Moomba
http://www.moomba.com/msgboard/showthread.php?25259-XLV-custom-Surf-platform&highlight=surf+platform