PDA

View Full Version : Steering problem again.

Winniboater
04-01-2016, 10:57 AM
Steering problem again. I have a 1988 Prata, (22’) (454) the issue is the steering is wicked sloppy! Full turn at the steering wheel right (S) and left (P) before the boat turns. The question I have is, is there an adjustment that I can make to tighten up the cable? I know that if the steering is hard to turn its always a faulty cable, but it its got a lot of play in it is there a way I can fix it without replacing the cable? Thanks in advance.

Cal99
04-01-2016, 11:32 AM
I had a similar problem last summer on my 1998 Saltare. It turned out to be a worn out ball joint on the steering cable clamp close to the rudder. The clamp could also be loose. If this isn't it, you may have an issue with your cable. Good luck!

suprasaltareaud
05-13-2016, 02:59 AM
Did u end up finding the problem? My steering locked up so I pulled the steering cable off the rudder assembly, bashed it a few times and regressed it and so far so good but at the same time I tightened up where the cable joined to the rudder and removed some free play I had. If you lift the floor behind the motor box you should be able to get to it. Hopefully you can adjust but it sounds to me like your cable has stretched.