PDA

View Full Version : Loose Ski Pylon

88SupraComp
07-26-2007, 10:22 AM
1988 Supra Comp:
Should I be worried that my ski pylon has a very small amount of play in it? Is there any way I could tighten it without taking apart the floor?

Thanks,

Jeff

Dinoz
07-30-2007, 03:23 PM
It is possilbe to do. I believe there are 4 bolts that hold the actual pylon in place. Each bolt has a "dead stop" as well. You need to loosen the dead stop first, then you will be able to tighten the actual bolts. Then make sure you tighten the dead stop again to prevent the bolts coming loose.

I just did this with my '89 Comp. There is still a very small amount of play, simply because the diameter of the pylon and the sleeve that it sits in are not a tight fit to begin with..

DZ.

milner351
08-16-2007, 07:31 AM
I have an '86 that I just restored, partially new stringers, new floor, steering, mufflers, etc etc etc.

On my boat there are two bolts securing the pylon into the mounting tube that is under the floor. You can get to them by lifting the engine cover and looking forward.

On my boat the bolts have square heads that a 7/16" wrench fits on OK, the locking nuts are 9/16".

I removed my pylon during the restoration, and have had to re tighten it several times since then, I'm not sure why.