PDA

View Full Version : Battery exploded, anyone else have this happen?

blackout_58
04-10-2016, 09:57 PM
Hey guys, just curious if there was any chance that anyone else may have experienced an exploding battery while charging? Apparently my house battery (24dc) in my 2011 21V had seen enough and decided to blow its top while on my promariner pro sport this winter. Fortunately it was in its battery box and didn't spill battery acid everywhere. Looks like I'll take this opportunity to move my batteries to the port side underneath the seat.

CJD
04-11-2016, 01:12 AM
Bummer!

I can think of 2 reasons...one is a shorted cell that generates a lot of heat. The second would be if the battery froze, but that would mean your charger wasn't working.

Was the case actually cracked?

CornRickey
04-12-2016, 01:04 AM
The term explode is specific. Are you meaning the caps are popped off?

michael hunter
04-12-2016, 08:07 AM
Battery's emit hydrogen when they are being charged they should always be in a well vented area when charging.
This usually happens when the charger clamps are disconnected . Remember always put the ground side on last and remove it first to avoid any sparks.

Moor
04-12-2016, 01:26 PM
overcharging can cause the caps to pop off. I've seen it multiple times on automobiles who's alternator's are producing too much voltage. Check your battery charger?

SquamInboards
04-12-2016, 02:39 PM
Working at a marina where we charged 100's of batteries, we always removed caps first. Because that can happen, however rarely. Like if it's 1 in 500? That's 1-2 every year at the rate we charged batteries.

blackout_58
04-13-2016, 10:02 AM
Yes, the battery split right down the middle and ejected the caps across the boat. I tried to get a photo, but my phone was dying and I was already headed to autozone.

The batteries had been on the trickle charge state for most of the winter, so hopefully the onboard charger isn't fried.

Had anyone seen this happen with the agm type battery?