PDA

View Full Version : 1991 Pirata Find

grthigpen
04-23-2016, 10:05 PM
I come across a 1991 Pirata that has all the options including 454HO. A 60 year old man bought it new with trailer. boat was only wet when in use (400 hours) kept in garage for whole life when parked. The boat looks like its 2 years old and all original except he upgraded to velvet drive right after he got it. He is wealthy and bought it to play with in 1991 and has all the documentation and service history. My question is, how to check the stringers? i checked the lag bolts on the engine, all tight, took out rear storage tray, no cracks in anything. got under it, like new and no surface cracks. Again, what do i do to confirm the stringers are in decent shape? thank you in advance

Wulphie
04-24-2016, 05:46 AM
If I remember right 91 Pirata has composit stringers but still has wood seat bases etc. Biggest problem is the supratrapps, in 400 hrs of operation they probably leaked more than enough water to soak the foam. My Pirata (88) was rack stored and the foam was waterlogged and the floor was rotted from the bottom up. I replaced the floor and patched in the floor supports, the stringers were ok and I had no problems re-mounting the engine and trans but if I keep the boat for the long haul I know I will completely rebuild it in a year or two.

I really like the Pirata because it is direct drive and a closed bow. If you like that it works in your favor because most people want v-drive and open bow. I bought my boat for $1500 on a aluminum double axle trailer.

Wulphie
04-24-2016, 05:47 AM
88 I dont know why it put the sunglass face. . .