PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat + gaskets Indmar Assault 2002

roosm
04-24-2016, 01:11 PM
Hi,

I have a Supra Launch SSV with an Indmar Assault TBI from 2002.
It is RAW (Salt water) cooled and I live in Sweden where water temps range from 50 - 70 degrees and air temps usually between 50 and 80 during my wakeboard-season.

I noticed the Tempgauge didn't get a reading, tested gauge and seems fine, temp sender does not send a reading within spec. Bought new temp sender. Was going to replace it this weekend but realized I had to remove the thermostat housing to get to the sender.
Opened up and found that the Thermostat was stuck open. Might be the issue all along.
The thermostat was just slightly open, but I guess this might be enough for it not to work properly at idle.
I tested the thermostat by putting it in a cup and pouring almost boiling water over it. It opened up and once I removed it from the cup it closed, though not fully.
Can I salvage the thermostat, use WD40 and get it working again, probably not right?

Can I replace it with something else than the original Indmar part? Maybe a mercruiser one?
I can't find the indmar part locally. Would need to wait for too long to get it to arrive from the US. I would like to have it by the weekend as I was thinking about putting her in the water this weekend.

Can I use RTV to seal the thermostat housing or do I need the original casket, probably can't find that here either.

I need a 160 farenheit thermostat right?

Thanks,

Mike

CJD
04-24-2016, 01:50 PM
Your Indmar is based on the Chevy small block engine that was produced from 1955 through today. So there are 10's of millions out there. The good thing is that any small block thermostat will work. Whether it is Indmar, Mercruiser, or any other small block derivative. It is not likely that you can repair the one you have. It uses a wax pellet to move the valve, and if the wax leaks it tends to fail in the open position, to be on the safe side. The thought was it is better to fail "cool" than to fail "hot". But, failing partially open likely means the wax has started to leak, and it can't be replaced.

For your second question, the 160 degree was the stock thermostat in the Indmars. The most common is 185 degree, which is the normal car temp, and it will also work just fine if you can't find the 160 degree. If your boat has a heater built in, the 185 degree thermostat may even be better for your usage than the cooler one.

99bison
04-24-2016, 05:50 PM
I have the proper gasket and thermostat... I had to special order them at one point, they are new in bags.

Was just going to post it in classifieds along with one other garage cleaning items.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160424/e5434cacbe496488a4b95cbdf05a5390.jpg

I'm in the us, but could ship out tomorrow if you'd like it.

roosm
04-25-2016, 07:47 AM
Hi,

Okey, so I can find the Mercruiser thermostat: 807252T2 or the kit 807252Q5 locally.
It is a 160 F thermostat. Would it work as good as the Indmar, if it fits the thermostat house at all??
Probably what I find at a reasonable price (like 25 dollars) would be Sierra or GLM equivalent of the quicksilver/mercruiser OEM.
Though I cannot find the gasket that fits the indmar thermostat housing.
The gasket that sits between the thermostat housing and the intake manifold is available.
I would have to make my own gasket for the thermostat housing either by cutting a gasket or using only RTV.

I have sent 99bison a PM regarding his alternative. If the shipping is fine maybe I'll wait another week.

Mike

99bison
04-25-2016, 01:34 PM
Pricing out shipping now

roosm
04-26-2016, 09:34 AM
Ok, so the update would be that I bought the thermostat and gasket from 99bison.
So now lets hope USPS and Swedish post works quick. =)

I still need 2 more gaskets, right?
One like this one: 27-53045Q01
And one o-ring that seals around the thermostat, right?

Thanks,

Mike

docdrs
05-02-2016, 11:43 PM
i changed my thermostat on my 2009 indoor and only used the one gasket.....i doubt you need more than that as it seals it all, and if there is seepage around the stat it really shouldn't be a problem if you think about it

roosm
05-03-2016, 02:35 AM
Hi,

Yeah I spent some time this weekend cleaning up the thermostat housing this weekend and then I could see the old thermostat was put there with RTV and the gasket I am getting from bison.
I have also ordered one gasket like the one above. 27-53045Q01. This is to seal the thermostat housing to the intake manifold / water neck.

From what I understand this is all I need.

Thanks,
Mike

Engine Nut
05-03-2016, 10:56 AM
You can get a P/N 491010 thermostat kit that includes a 160 degree thermostat and both of the gaskets from inboardonline.com . They are a good source for any Indmar parts. If the part you need does not show on their website, contact them at [email protected] and they can get it for you. Note, you should not use a thermostat that is above the recommended temperature of 160. We have to run our engines cooler because they are in an enclosed area without a lot of air circulation and there is a US Coast Guard Regulation that says that no part of the engine that you could come in contact with during normal maintenance/checks can be over 200 degrees F.

roosm
05-04-2016, 02:32 AM
Thanks Larry, good to know for the next time around.
As of right now I am already waiting for my thermostat and gasket from bison + just received my water neck/intake manifold to thermostathousing gasket.
I will get an indmar original 160 F thermostat.

Thanks!