PDA

View Full Version : Ignition guru's

cjtpilot
04-24-2016, 08:54 PM
Ok first trip out on the comp today and this happens. I still have the protec ignition, so for the guru's out there what are symptoms of it going bad? Any way to test it? Seems to be not firing on all cylinders most of the time and then sometimes I can hear and feel the dead cylinders kick in and fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CornRickey
04-25-2016, 02:27 AM
Is it the same cylinder? If so cap, wires.

michael hunter
04-25-2016, 07:25 AM
Put an HEI distributor in and call it a day. There are no parts to repair the protec system so even if you find the exact cause you will have to find a used part to replace it with. The used part is just as old ?

NoWake
04-25-2016, 07:28 AM
No guru here, but my protec either ran fine or wouldn't start at all. It happened twice before I replaced it 3 seasons ago and have had no issue since.

cjtpilot
04-25-2016, 08:36 AM
Anything else that could cause these kind of symptoms??

cjtpilot
04-25-2016, 08:44 AM
Do you have a link to the HEI replacement system?
Put an HEI distributor in and call it a day. There are no parts to repair the protec system so even if you find the exact cause you will have to find a used part to replace it with. The used part is just as old ?

NoWake
04-27-2016, 07:12 AM
http://performancedistributors.com/product/marine-dui-distributors/
Sorry for the late reply, thought Micheal had it

Jetlink
05-02-2016, 03:21 PM
No guru here, but my protec either ran fine or wouldn't start at all. It happened twice before I replaced it 3 seasons ago and have had no issue since.

Was that three years ago already?

NoWake
05-03-2016, 07:52 AM
2 or 3.. Time is flying. I'll have to look at that cool red supra reunion sticker you guys gave me. Pretty sure this is the third season without protec

cjtpilot
05-03-2016, 10:27 AM
ok just to rule it out, I changed the fuel filter to a fuel/water separator type and the hose coming out of filter and into fuel pump had a sharp bend in it. I plan on relocating this tonight, could this also cause this issue?

Jetlink
05-03-2016, 12:02 PM
I am willing to bet money that you are dealing with a spark problem and the culprit is your Pro-Tec ignition. If I am not mistaken, there is a gel of sorts in a specific part of the Pro-Tec and after a certain time period, it starts to fail and then bam, you have issues up to leaving you stranded on the water and having to get a tow back or until the gel cools down enough to limp the boat home. Seeing as how you have not had any issues with the boat in the previous two seasons of using it including your high power barefoot runs, fuel delivery is not likely to be the culprit.

cjtpilot
05-03-2016, 12:28 PM
I am willing to bet money that you are dealing with a spark problem and the culprit is your Pro-Tec ignition. If I am not mistaken, there is a gel of sorts in a specific part of the Pro-Tec and after a certain time period, it starts to fail and then bam, you have issues up to leaving you stranded on the water and having to get a tow back or until the gel cools down enough to limp the boat home. Seeing as how you have not had any issues with the boat in the previous two seasons of using it including your high power barefoot runs, fuel delivery is not likely to be the culprit.

This is true, but you can't blame me for wishful thinking.

SquamInboards
05-03-2016, 01:44 PM
This is true, but you can't blame me for wishful thinking.

Yeah, if your problem is a restriction in the fuel line, you'd probably be able to idle fine, but run into problems at higher RPM due to the increased demand for fuel. If you have misfires all over the place... ignition.