PDA

View Full Version : Rudder on 1992 TS6M

cdoogles
07-31-2007, 05:12 PM
Hi, does anyone here own a Supra 1992 TS6M Comp Ski boat? My dad owns one and the rudder broke off and sunk to the bottom of the lake. I am trying to track down a new one, but no one can tell me the size or style of rudder that is supposed to be on these boats. If someone owns a TS6M of any year and wouldn't mind sending me a picture or sketch with measurements of the rudder it would be a life saver. Thanks!

Chad

[email protected]

DKJBama92Mariah
07-31-2007, 10:00 PM
Same thing happened to me four seasons ago. You might search for the thread on it in this forum.

First try your closest Supra dealer. Supra still stocks the rudders and your dealer an order it for you. My closest dealer is 45 min away and they have ordered stuff and then shipped it to me. If they aren't any help, contact Anthony Cooper the parts "guru" at Skiers Choice. His email is [email protected] . They have shipped direct to me before when i didnt have a local dealer.

The install can kinda suck unless you can somehow manage to get the gas tank out. Mine wouldn't come out without major surgery, so i had to work underneath it. While you're down there, might as well replace he rudder box packing.

Good luck

DKJ

cdoogles
08-01-2007, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the info. I called Supra yesterday and they sais they did not carry that rudder anymore. They tried to tell me that I would have to take the whole assembly out and drill new holes through the hull to make room for a larger assembly. This doesn't seem right to me. It seems like someone would have a rudder that was the same shaft size and would fit the assembly thats already installed on the boat. I will send Anthony an email to see what he can do for me. Thanks again-

myturndad
08-01-2007, 12:09 PM
call discount inboard marine. they are excellent in their knowledge and parts they carry.

803-345-0996

cdoogles
08-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Spoke with Anthony Cooper. He got me the part number for a replacement assembly. I was hoping to avoid replacing the whole assembly and just slide a new rudder into the old hole and connect it to the tiller arm. It seems like any rudder with the same shaft size would work, but I wanted to make sure. I'll try the guys at discount inboard marine as soon as I get ac hance. Thanks-

DKJBama92Mariah
08-01-2007, 04:53 PM
It may be just as well. I replaced my rudder alone and wish i had just replaced the rudder box along with it. I think my hole is a little out of round causing hard steering under power.

Don't sweat the added work of replacing the box. Its just 4 bolts and some 5200. You will need to flag down a tool truck and buy a socket that has a big flathead screwdriver end on it to be able to loosen the bolts.

DKJ

95LaBrisa
05-16-2010, 04:43 PM
To all of you looking for a Rudder without having to re-drill for a newer size rudder box and additional bolt holes, here is an Original Equipment Manufacturer of rudders for many of the older Supra's (and other makes too). I have a 95' LaBrisa. While on the lake, I hit something I couldn't see and it snapped the rudder off at the hull. Thanks to the BRASS SHAFT of the rudder, it did what it was supposed to do, which is to break without causing hull damage. I called Skiers Choice and was told I had to buy a newer part that required replacing the rudder box which required drilling a larger hole for the new rudder box, and maybe alter the holes for the bolts that hold it. One big issue I had with all of this was the guy told me all of the new rudders had stainless steel shafts. If the shaft of my rudder that broke had been stainless, there is a better than good chance it would have ripped a hole in the hull and the boat would have sunk!! (I will not call the guy at Skier's Choice by name, but he's named in other threads, is a long term employee dating back to the 90's and is very knowledgeable about anything involving Supra) I asked the person at Skier's Choice for the name of the company they bought from or an alternative source, so I could simply replace my rudder and not have the extra work and expense of replacing the rudder box. He told me he didn't know who the old supplier was, that there were several suppliers (and didn't know any of the other suppliers names either), and implied they might be out of business. He told me all he could do is give me a name of a dealer in my area and the part #'s I needed so I could purchase the parts. I didn't believe the guy and felt all he was interested in was forcing the sale of a part(s) that they would get when purchased through one of their dealers.
I believe Skier's Choice has a responsibility to support their dealer's by referring appropriate inquires to them. HOWEVER, I think it is a POOR business practice to mislead customers by withholding information and thus force them to pay more, and in this case considerably more when a correct replacement part is currently made and available. According to this guy at Skier's Choice, I had to buy a new rudder PLUS, purchase a new part that requires modifications to the structure of the boat.
After much research, many phone calls and some nice people willing to talk, I found one of company's Supra used to buy from. I called them, told them what I wanted, and purchased a replacement brass shaft rudder without the added expense and work of a new rudder box. My loyalty to Supra has diminished considerably along with the respect I had for the guy at Skier's Choice. This same guy had helped me in the past with another issue but it didn't involve my having to buy anything.
Here is the company and contact info. I'm doing the work myself so if anyone has questions about the install process, let me know and I'll help anyway I can.

Southeastern Foundries
2706 Oakland Avenue
Greensboro, NC,
27403-1939
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 336 299 7211

87SunSportMikeyD
05-17-2010, 12:01 PM
Thanks for all the great posts guys. To add my two cents (you knew I would)...

I have spoken with Skiers Choice countless times. MANY of the parts for our boats are no longer offered by Skiers Choice. They have always been honest with me and have always and immediatly told me the part number, and who is the new supplier of a part. If they dont know they have usually given me as much info as possible and a couple sugesstions as to where to get started.

IMHO I highly doubt they are trying to "force people to buy new parts." The way I see it, they no longer carry that part - however they do have a new option if you can't find the correct part. Skiers Choice carries thousands of parts and when they stop using a part, it is really not their job to keep track of who would carry that part for the next twenty years... I think it is EXTREMLY nice of them to be able to offer FREE service help through their phone line. Oh and also, we have posted email addresses of several people at Skiers Choice. Feel free to send an email if you really are bothered or think someone was 'lying' to you about a part.

You may wish to look carefully at the rudder assembly or plate too - there is a chance they could be bent out of alignment from the accident. This may be repairable. Best wishes, WakeMikey

A search of SkiDIM.com reveals this option:
Listed under: Home > Steering/Controls > Rudder
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DISC-RPTNSLOTASS

REPLACEMENT RUDDER ASSEMBLY FOR TOURNAMENT SKI BOATS
This solid bronze, neutral steer rudder has slotted mounting holes in rudder box flange to allow universal fit in most existing hole-patterns on ski boats. Excellent performance and handling, grease seals, bore size 2", slots fit a 3/8" fastener. Part No. Description 1. Post 1.00 DIA. 2. Blade 3. Rudder Box W/Slot MountHoles 4. Lower Bushing 5. Lip Seal 6. O-Ring 7. Retaining Ring 8. Upper Bushing 9. Grease Fitting 10. Backing Plate, Slotted Holes 11. Tiller Arm 2. Bolt (Intersects Post 13. Flat Washer 14. Lock Washer 15. Nylon Insert Nut 16. Set Screw 17. Key 18. Bolt 19. Jam Nut

The bottom plate of the port measures 4" X 4" with slotted holes for ease of installation using the existing 4 bolt holes in boat. The total post heght is 5.75" the actual rudder blade measures 12.75" for a total height of 18.5" top to bottom. The rudder port size is 2" some older boats have a 1.5" hole and will have to be drilled out with a 2" hole saw. This rudder will NOT work with most Correct Crafts.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-17-2010, 12:02 PM
duplicate...........

95LaBrisa
05-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Mikey, Thanks for reply and being objective! I want and try to be fair. And I try to give everyone the benefit of doubt, assume innocence before proven guilty, and doing so means I could be wrong about what I said. If I'm wrong, I owe an apology and would ask forgiveness. But having more information about Supra's current suppliers not shared in my comments; common sense and reason lead me to my conclusion. Is there a way we can communicate off line? I'd like to chat about our boats and the work you've done on yours.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Honestly I was just trying to offer the 'flip side' - and if possible avoiding finger pointing. :) :) If you talked to Anthony at SC, he is pretty dang knowledgable but there are other good resource people too.

You may want to call Jim at Viper customs (his contact info is listed in a sticky in the repair forum, but beware this is the busy season for him and other users are reporting delays in shipments, however he may be able to ID the part easily).

You could also CALL skiDIM.com as they are very smart there too.

Oh and send me a PM and we can chat or take to phone lines if it gets too wordy, hehe! Thanks for the nice words and always happy to chat!

87SunSportMikeyD
05-17-2010, 05:19 PM
Duplicate, love my internet connection today