PDA

View Full Version : Squeal after Start

jwwalk
05-02-2016, 08:57 AM
Hi guys, Last year I noticed a squeal after starting my boat (when the engine was cold) which went away after increasing engine speed for about 5 to 6 seconds while in neutral. I am thinking its the belts but have also wondered if it is possibly the strut bushings. Any thoughts on what could be causing this? I'm looking to fix before I get the boat in the water :-)

Thanks!

1989 Conbrio

gnarlydude
05-02-2016, 09:05 AM
Bearings on a pulley or pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cadunkle
05-02-2016, 09:10 AM
Driveshaft is not spinning in neutral so it's not strut bushings. Check those by grabbing prop and moving it side/side up/down. You will see or feel slop in the cutlass bearings.

Could be circulating pump, alternator, or raw water pump bearings. Pull the belts and do the same side/side up/down movements on the pulleys. If there is slow, rebuild or replace, the bearings are bad. You cna also spin them and if it feels loose or rough the bearings are bad.

jwwalk
05-02-2016, 12:51 PM
Thanks guys. I will check the accessory drive system this evening when I get home.

docdrs
05-02-2016, 11:23 PM
if its doing it in neutral , rule out your alternator/water pump first

SquamInboards
05-03-2016, 01:39 PM
Sounds like belts slipping... most modern cars have tensioners that don't require adjustment. So these older engines that require you to adjust the belt tension periodically... it's not something most of us deal with on a regular basis.

I don't have any specs for belt tension, really, but I bet if you tighten them up a bit I suspect you'll find your squeal is gone.

Yes, bearings on pulleys and such can of course fail, but if the sound is right at cold startup and only lasts for a few seconds... keep it simple, I bet it's just a loose belt. Or even better, when did you last replace the belts? You can always keep the old ones as spares.

jwwalk
05-05-2016, 10:21 AM
Sounds like belts slipping... keep it simple, I bet it's just a loose belt. Or even better, when did you last replace the belts? You can always keep the old ones as spares.

I went out to the boat and it seems the alternator belt has lost tension. I ordered a new set of belts from skidim.com yesterday and they should be here tomorrow! Hoping to install those along with some ignition tune up parts this weekend.

Thanks for the advice.

foxriverat
05-05-2016, 12:34 PM
If your not doing it. You are supposed to loosen both belts before storing for winter.