PDA

View Full Version : yay or nay?? 89 supra

JoshM
05-02-2016, 08:47 PM
Hi everyone.

New to the forum. I'm from Canada and am currently serving in the Armed forces. I am new to boating but with a young family think it's time we find a new passion for a lack of words.
OK so the link I'm sharing is a 89 supra for sale. Can you please tell me anything about this boat is it a good deal? I want something to pull with and thought this might be a great rebuild project? Thanks in advance!!

http://m.kijiji.ca/powerboat-motorboat/edmonton/1989-supra/v?adId=1160996171&ck=CK&from=Search&ts=1462236222384

michael hunter
05-03-2016, 07:15 AM
That looks like a comp. The thing you have to watch on pre 92 Supras is stringer and floor rot. You can easily spend 5k or more on a stringer job most of witch you will not recover at resale.

crystal waters
05-03-2016, 11:04 AM
Hire a professional marine surveyor, spend a couple hundred. May be the best money you ever spent.
Check stringers closely, do a compression test on cylinders"
I note the wakeboard rack . This model is a hard core ski boat noted for small wake so suspect the previous owner used extra weight to create wakes. Suspect boat subjected to much water onboard so would worry about stringers.
Price is low side so my spidey senses are wary.
Hire a surveyor!
Never fall in love with a prospective boat today for you will always find a nicer one tomorrow.
Good luck

Rjaeger
05-03-2016, 03:59 PM
My dad purchased a 1990 comp around 1999/2000 time frame. Appeared to be in great shape.... till we realized it had a lot of dry rot. He spent hours replacing what he could but it still had soft spots. I'd say have it looked at real good before moving forward.

JoshM
05-03-2016, 07:56 PM
Right on. Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably just keep looking.

crystal waters
05-03-2016, 09:01 PM
Right on. Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably just keep looking.

Here in B C there is a web site
castanet.net
Click on classifieds
Click on rec vehicles
Click on boats
Click on ski boats over 19 feet
May help your search.
For those in USA discount prices by approx 20 % as your dollar is stronger than canadian at present.
Just an fyi