PDA

View Full Version : Anyone experience leaky docking lights before?

Rjaeger
05-03-2016, 04:07 PM
I have a 2012 Supra Launch 22V. Purchased this winter, i've been noticing the bow carpet would be wet after a few hours of boating. Took it out yesterday and watched when cutting through chop and noticed water coming from the area of either the docking lights or the hook. I can't get to it cause it's carpeted..... anyone ever experienced this? I'm looking for general feedback or suggestions.

jzelt
05-04-2016, 08:51 AM
Ours (2004) is from bow hook.
You can eliminate it as an issue by getting a tube of silicon caulking (clear), put it around the eye hook and nut fittings (cake it on pretty thick) and see if it eliminates the water coming in. If it does, you know where it was coming in at, if it doesn't, it is pretty easy to pull back off.
I don't see a way to access behind the bow hook so I just leave the silicon in place, and when it starts coming in again, I remove the old and redo.

Zim
05-04-2016, 02:11 PM
Does your boat have a heater? Could be a cracked heater core leaking.

Rjaeger
05-04-2016, 02:25 PM
Ours (2004) is from bow hook.
You can eliminate it as an issue by getting a tube of silicon caulking (clear), put it around the eye hook and nut fittings (cake it on pretty thick) and see if it eliminates the water coming in. If it does, you know where it was coming in at, if it doesn't, it is pretty easy to pull back off.
I don't see a way to access behind the bow hook so I just leave the silicon in place, and when it starts coming in again, I remove the old and redo.

Thanks for the feedback. I've thought about doing this but was hoping i could seal it from the inside. I'll give it a go with the clear silicone.

trayson
05-04-2016, 03:52 PM
The docking lights have a rubber seal under the chrome bezel that seals it against the white inner housing. I would think that either your light housing isn't secure against the gelcoat of the boat, or the inner/outer housing seal isn't doing its job.. It's just a rubber seal/gasket. I would think you could get/make something thicker. and if it's the white inner housing to the gelcoat, there might be a seal there or you can add silicone or something.

Here's a pic of the docking lights with the chrome outer bezel/lens off.
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/20160412_184154_zpsql13n4t5.jpg