PDA

View Full Version : weight in my '88 Saltare

irishleacher
05-04-2016, 05:59 PM
I need some serious help from anyone with experience in weighting a late 80's Supra Saltare. I have an '88 Saltare that I intent on putting as much weight possible in it for a nice wake for both surfing and wake boarding. I have not yet invested in ballast bags, but plan on getting ones that I will fill up to us for whatever sport I want at the time, then drain them and store them until I decide to use them again. My question is how much weigh to get, and where to put it. I have heard stories of too much weight on the sides of the engine, will break my engine cover. I will adjust the weight as I go but need to know how much is too much for certain places on my boat. Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

Ben

wotan2525
05-05-2016, 11:50 AM
I ran about 2000 lbs all in the back corner for surfing and had a great surf wave. Wake plate all the way "down" helped stretch the wave out. It was still pretty steep.

I didn't use any weight in front while surfing but if we had a big crew, we would send a couple of people up front to lengthen the wave.

For wakeboarding, 600lbs on each side of the engine, 300lbs in the middle and wakeplate all the way up worked great. I know the wakeplate thing is a pain -- if I was trying to make my boat do both things I would leave it level with the hull and then adjust ballast. It's a lot of trial and error.

irishleacher
05-05-2016, 05:03 PM
I ran about 2000 lbs all in the back corner for surfing and had a great surf wave. Wake plate all the way "down" helped stretch the wave out. It was still pretty steep.

I didn't use any weight in front while surfing but if we had a big crew, we would send a couple of people up front to lengthen the wave.

For wakeboarding, 600lbs on each side of the engine, 300lbs in the middle and wakeplate all the way up worked great. I know the wakeplate thing is a pain -- if I was trying to make my boat do both things I would leave it level with the hull and then adjust ballast. It's a lot of trial and error.

So, just to be clear, 600lbs on each side of the engine will not hurt the boat or weaken anything beside the engine? Thanks for the help, I have only had my boat for a year and I am planning on being able to surf and wake behind it.

wotan2525
05-06-2016, 11:07 AM
No, 600lbs will not hurt anything you just want to make sure the bags aren't too wide where they are putting a lot of pressure on the engine cover.