PDA

View Full Version : New to supra ownership

Hatchguy
05-10-2016, 10:49 PM
I'm from the Kentucky lake area and I'm a new 1991 supra comp owner. I've been looking for one of these locally and finally found one. I do however have some concerns as though I may have pulled the trigger on this boat fairly quick.17117

1. I know these boats are susceptible to stringer rot. I looked around and walked around as much as I could for soft spots and did t find any. The boat has set with tarps on it for most of the last two years.

2. The original motor was not winterized and it caused one of the exhaust manifold to crack and the freeze plugs to pop. Freeze plugs are replaced and it does run.

3. Simple google searches don't show much for replacement parts. The list is growing but if I could have some help in a direction.
Cover
Oem decals/vinyl stripping
Window drivers side
Glass trim- rubber on the outside of windshield
Pad on deck top that has adhesive
Exhaust flap
Swim deck- I prefer the teak

I just hauled this thing home and started buffing on the gel coat which has turned out nicely.

cjtpilot
05-11-2016, 09:06 AM
Welcome to the Supra family! This site is full of information and people willing to help with experience. So here is my 2 cents for your questions......
Cover - http://www.skiboatcovers.com/
Oem decals/vinyl stripping - peel them off and buff out the gel coat
Window drivers side - Good Luck!!!!!
Glass trim- rubber on the outside of windshield - http://www.skidim.com/
Pad on deck top that has adhesive - I pulled mine and replaced with teak 17118 I bought the teak on ebay and cut it to shape.
Exhaust flap - http://www.skidim.com/
Swim deck- I prefer the teak- There are a couple threads on here from people that have made their own, although with teak being so expensive! Look into African Mahogany. Hopefully @Michael Hunter can chime in here.

Hatchguy
05-11-2016, 09:55 AM
Thanks, I like the teak on the top. What did you use to adhere it to the deck.

cjtpilot
05-11-2016, 10:19 AM
Thanks, I like the teak on the top. What did you use to adhere it to the deck.
First I tried some adhesive, however that didn't last long before it started peeling up. So I predrilled holes in the wood and then screwed them onto the deck. I ordered 1/2" thick planks and ripped them in half to make 1/4" and used the old pads as the pattern.

korey
05-11-2016, 11:34 AM
Welcome to the forum, and the old boat lifestyle! Where in KY are you? I'm in Lexington and boat all over, but mostly Laurel and Cumberland. Make Discount Inboard marine (skidim.com) your best friend!

Zim
05-11-2016, 12:35 PM
Any water in the oil after running it? If the freeze plugs popped and you cracked a manifold, your block may be toast as well. Freeze plugs popping doesn't mean it saved your motor, it just means water was in that area and pushed the plugs out. They're not actually freeze plugs at all, they're core plugs that are covering the holes used to sand cast that block and drain the sand out after they were done. There's many water jackets and other small areas that don't have freeze plugs to pop under cold conditions. I'd check the oil, make sure it doesn't look like a milkshake. If it does, you may have bigger problems on your hands. For your sake, I hope you don't. Welcome to the fam.

Moor
05-11-2016, 01:38 PM
Zim just asked the same question that popped into my head when i read this. Check your oil! I had a freeze out plug pop 2 winters ago, even after winterization. One of the block drain plugs by the oil pan (454) wouldn't come out, and i guess i didn't get enugh antifreeze circulating in that part of the cooling system. I got luck and only had to replace the freeze out plug. Congrats on the new boat, and welcome to the forum.

Hatchguy
05-11-2016, 05:34 PM
Checked it first, looks good. That was my first thought and was going to be a bargaining tool, but it fired up so I took the chance for a $1,800 boat.

Hatchguy
05-11-2016, 05:35 PM
Welcome to the forum, and the old boat lifestyle! Where in KY are you? I'm in Lexington and boat all over, but mostly Laurel and Cumberland. Make Discount Inboard marine (skidim.com) your best friend!
I'm in Paducah and mostly stay on KY Lake or the Ohio/TN rivers.

Hatchguy
05-11-2016, 05:55 PM
Just checked the motor mount bolts that bolt to the stringers. Drivers side is solid and tight. Pass side spins freely.

Hatchguy
05-11-2016, 08:19 PM
So I've already started stripping it for a stringer and interior job. 1711917119
Looks like I'll be reading for hours on here on how to do it and what to use. I'm leaning toward pulling the cap/engine and finding a shop to do the rest.

Steve-o
05-11-2016, 11:18 PM
Welcome Hatchguy! Greetings from Lake Norman. Congrats on the comp. For what it's worth I hope you will document your stringer job well and share with us. I've spent a lot of time reading from some guys on here that have done stringers and am always intrigued at their handy work. Love the finished product! Best of luck to you . . . and for real - keep us posted.

Hatchguy
05-12-2016, 06:44 PM
17122current 17122situation

codemonkey82
05-12-2016, 10:49 PM
I have an 89 comp. The stringers weren't horrible near the motor mounts (they did have rot). The worse parts were actually in the driver area under the foot well. Supra drilled holes through the main stringer just under the plastic foot well to drain any water.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

michael hunter
05-13-2016, 07:11 AM
If you are going to have a shop do the stringers make sure you keep a close eye on them. Once the floor boards are installed who knows what sins are covered up. Get as many pics as possible throughout the process. That will help at resale when you tell buyers you have new stringers. Most members do their own to guarantee process and quality.

Hatchguy
05-13-2016, 09:53 AM
Yeah I talked to sextons marine which was mentioned several times on here. He said I was about the 3rd supra guy to call him recently. He agreed to take pictures and all. Im still debating on doing it myself though. It seems like everyone is using different materials from different places. I'll more than likely have to order all the resign and fiber online.

Jetlink
05-13-2016, 10:18 AM
If you are going to have a shop do the stringers make sure you keep a close eye on them. Once the floor boards are installed who knows what sins are covered up.

This could not be any more of a true statement...let's just say I know a guy.

Anyway, your boat is rather easy to do a full restoration on. I did (started) mine over a year ago and am down to just two items to have the boat basically returned to factory condition but without the shoddy work and I made some improvements to it as well. It is definitely a labor of love as I could have bought a newer boat for all that I have into it now. But, it is mine and it is an accomplishment for me.

Hatchguy
05-13-2016, 03:15 PM
Can anyone provide a supply list of what ALL I'll need? I've gone through several threads but ppl use different stuff and no one has a list with quantities needed. I'm not talking about wood or foam (not refoaming) just the resins, sealers, glass whatever.

Hatchguy
05-20-2016, 02:38 PM
No one that's done it has a list saved away somewhere?