PDA

View Full Version : Check-Engine notification

Todd Gatto
05-11-2016, 02:03 PM
Hey All. New to the forum. I recently purchased a 2008 Launch 20 (Direct Drive) that has about 30-hours on it. Launched it for the first time this last weekend. Toward the end of our first day on the water, we received a low battery notification, indicating less than 11.7 Volts, which was followed-up closely thereafter by a Check-Engine notification (and subsequent "Limp-mode") :mad:. So, my question is, can a dying battery and/or bad alternator (I believe because of the low-battery indication) cause a Check-Engine notification, or could it be something else? I would hate to pull the boat just to find that a new set of batteries would have solved the problem (again, only 30-hours on it). Then again... maybe a good check-out by a Supra Dealer would be a good idea.

Thoughts? I read some posts regarding check-engines, but nothing that points me directly to my question. Thanks for any input...

CJD
05-11-2016, 07:29 PM
Replace/charge the battery first. In all likelihood that will fix the codes. The question is why the battery ran down...bad battery, too much stereo, or charging problem.

You will have to by an adapter to read the codes. You can get anything from a cheapo $50 LED unit where you count the flashes, to a full blown $10k GM programmer. But again, in your case replace the battery first.

wotan2525
05-12-2016, 10:54 AM
Replace battery and then measure your charging voltage. To do this, just put a multi-meter on the battery terminals while the boat is running at about 2000rpms. You should see 13.4-14v if the alternator is working.

Todd Gatto
05-12-2016, 12:31 PM
THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES!! I will give that a go...

Moor
05-12-2016, 03:51 PM
+1 on what others said about the battery. remember, your boat's electrical system runs on 12 volts. You should really have about 13v minimum at all times to keep everything happy. If the engine sensors are not getting proper voltage, they can send incorrect information to the computer, causing your check engine light. A code would be helpful, but i'd guess its your batteries since the CEL came on shortly after your low voltage warning.

22launched
05-14-2016, 10:55 PM
Hey All. New to the forum. I recently purchased a 2008 Launch 20 (Direct Drive) that has about 30-hours on it. Launched it for the first time this last weekend. Toward the end of our first day on the water, we received a low battery notification, indicating less than 11.7 Volts, which was followed-up closely thereafter by a Check-Engine notification (and subsequent "Limp-mode") :mad:. So, my question is, can a dying battery and/or bad alternator (I believe because of the low-battery indication) cause a Check-Engine notification, or could it be something else? I would hate to pull the boat just to find that a new set of batteries would have solved the problem (again, only 30-hours on it). Then again... maybe a good check-out by a Supra Dealer would be a good idea.

Thoughts? I read some posts regarding check-engines, but nothing that points me directly to my question. Thanks for any input...

I'm experiencing this same problem and was wondering if you had figured out the issue? If so could you fill me in so I can fix mine? Thanks

Todd Gatto
05-27-2016, 01:59 PM
New Alternator fixed the issue - no 3 starts (as indicated in other threads). Did it immediately.