PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Air Exhaust - 2 questions

SquamInboards
05-18-2016, 12:28 PM
edit: oops, really 3 questions.

I am thinking about putting a fresh air exhaust system on my boat - the commercial one, not a DIY solution. I have been reading a lot about these systems for a few years now, and everyone seems to love them once installed.

I have a few questions I haven't seen really answered:

1. Is it ever an issue when you're hanging on/climbing onto the swim deck, of hitting your feet on the end of the stainless pipe? It looks like it is sharp, and would be mid-way under the swim deck I think. I am guessing it's not an issue because I haven't seen anyone mention it?

2. For those of you who have had one for a few years now, are you still happy? In particular, the noise reduction. I happen to LOVE the sound of my boat. I do recognize, however, that for my two little kids (and everyone else in the boat, really) it's not the best thing for your hearing, let alone just being able to talk while the boat is running. But do you miss the sound???

3. Relating to the sound, where my boat is an '89, it's much louder than, say, a 2005 Nautique 196 that I've spent a lot of time in. Are these things substantially quieter than a relatively quiet modern ski boat?

Thanks for your input. I've been pondering this for years, and I just got a little money for my birthday... as much as I'd rather spend it on... scotch? I might just make this happen for the health of my family.

SquamInboards
05-20-2016, 09:12 AM
I've since talked to Christine (I think that was her name) at FAE and as others have mentioned, she was very helpful. Great customer service attitude and I haven't bought anything yet.

She sent detailed instructions and lots of photos and documentation to me and it looks like the placement is just fine. It would actually mount directly to the trim tab/wakeplate which is interesting. That's fine with me, I never ever move that plate.

One thing I read about on the CCfan forum (those guys nearly all love their loud exhausts) was about the "tone" of the exhaust. One person said (and this is how I feel) that they would be fine reducing the volume of their exhaust so their kids don't go deaf, and you can have conversations at speed. But you wouldn't want to lose that tone, as in the deep sound that these V8s make. I couldn't agree more. That's really my big concern. I don't want to have the sound of a 4.3 Mercruiser 18' Sea Ray I/O.

Any thoughts on the difference in sound?

wotan2525
05-20-2016, 10:45 AM
The difference in sound is dramatic. Especially on plane. It's the best stereo upgrade you can buy. It was difficult for me to hear when the engine was running or not running while idleing -- I never had that problem before the FAE.

I thought it was amazing in every way. The downtube was never an issue for feet, rarely are people kicking underneath the boat.

It makes a HUGE effect on the CO coming into the boat while surfing. That was the original reason for my upgrade.

SquamInboards
05-20-2016, 01:11 PM
The consensus is definitely that the change in sound is dramatic, exactly as you said. Did you like the noise before? I mean, I like it and all but I did like it more 10 years ago before I had two little kids in the boat. I think both my kids would like it better if it were quieter. Maybe that's all that matters?

wotan2525
05-20-2016, 04:53 PM
The river that I boat on is full of go-fast boats with above water exhausts. Since I don't like them, I never much cared that my boat lost a "rumble." The stereo was always on and always loud. I'd rather not hear any engine at all.

SquamInboards
05-23-2016, 09:46 AM
The river that I boat on is full of go-fast boats with above water exhausts. Since I don't like them, I never much cared that my boat lost a "rumble." The stereo was always on and always loud. I'd rather not hear any engine at all.

That's interesting, because the lake I'm on has exactly zero "go-fast" boats in part because of a 40mph speed limit. Most of the locals we know have inboard ski boats because they are just about perfect on this lake. But the majority of boats are 19'+/- sterndrive or smaller fishing boats, or pontoon boats.

I do love the sound of my boat, but two things happened over the weekend. I was at a nearby lake for a wedding and it's full of what you are talking about, the raspy straight-pipe sound of go-fast boats ... and I don't like them either. Again with the kids, I'm thinking that it would be really nice for them to have a quieter boat. The other thing was when I was on the shore of my lake on a very calm, quiet morning. A new-looking Nautique 200 went by the house and I clearly could hear the engine and the exhaust note, but it was very tame. Definitely, unquestionably still an inboard V8 sound, but a lot quieter than mine to say the least. Maybe that's roughly what it would sound like? If that's the case, I can live with that. Even the sound of a 2012 Super Air Nautique that I rode in a bunch last year, you could still talk in the boat while underway. If it's anything close to that I can handle it.

So, now I have to pull the boat and take measurements. Any other week I might be able to get the marina to just forklift it out for a few minutes. Not the week before Memorial Day.

Also, didn't you sell the Saltare? What do you have now?

wotan2525
05-23-2016, 03:33 PM
Also, didn't you sell the Saltare? What do you have now?

Yes I did. I'm shopping now. The used market is for sellers right now and I can't afford new. I know what boat I want, I know what I want to pay for it and I believe I can get it for that..... but I'll have to wait for the right deal or for the seasons to start changing. Until then? Enjoying having friends with boats and working on some long overdue house projects!

Luvmysupra
05-25-2016, 12:35 PM
Just installed it on my 2002 sunsport V and it's awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luvmysupra
05-25-2016, 12:42 PM
Just installed it on my 2002 sunsport V and it's awesome

SquamInboards
05-25-2016, 12:53 PM
How would you say it compares to the quietest newer ski/wake boat you've been in? Driving my boat a little this week, I am still on the fence about losing the sound.

scottschmitt
05-26-2016, 11:11 AM
How does FAO affect the wake at skiing speeds?

Luvmysupra
05-26-2016, 11:14 AM
How would you say it compares to the quietest newer ski/wake boat you've been in? Driving my boat a little this week, I am still on the fence about losing the sound.

They say 50% noise reduction and I'd say 75% or more very quit and makes it great for surfing

SquamInboards
05-26-2016, 01:34 PM
How does FAO affect the wake at skiing speeds?

From what I've read, it doesn't really affect the wake at those speeds. There may be a bit of a rooster tail (I can't see how there wouldn't be!) but no effect on a skier.

I've read about these things on the Correct Craft forums, WakeWorld, here, and other places, too. If you start digging, there were some earlier models (2007, 2008 maybe) that dove a little too deep into the water and had more of an effect on wakes, and a bigger rooster tail. Some said it "softened the lip" which would be bad for wakeboarding, but not so much for skiing. Also some boat models are more affected than others. But one problem is, you have to measure a bunch of things and then they make the cuts, welds, etc. SO if you're not right on, or don't pay attention to the instructions, it could screw up your experience.

For the most part, the reviews are overwhelmingly positive, and very few people ever return or remove them, from what I can tell. This "rooster tail" is nothing at all like you'd see behind a jet boat or something, or a go-fast boat trimmed way out.

They say 50% noise reduction and I'd say 75% or more very quit and makes it great for surfing

Thanks... I really, really want to ride in an older boat that has one of these installed. I'm not sure there's any other way. Sounds just don't come through videos well enough for a fair comparison. And more than the money, I'm not sure I'd like to spend the time (hard to come by with two little kids) if I'm not 100% certain that I'd like the change.

Luvmysupra
05-26-2016, 01:37 PM
From what I've read, it doesn't really affect the wake at those speeds. There may be a bit of a rooster tail (I can't see how there wouldn't be!) but no effect on a skier.

I've read about these things on the Correct Craft forums, WakeWorld, here, and other places, too. If you start digging, there were some earlier models (2007, 2008 maybe) that dove a little too deep into the water and had more of an effect on wakes, and a bigger rooster tail. Some said it "softened the lip" which would be bad for wakeboarding, but not so much for skiing. Also some boat models are more affected than others. But one problem is, you have to measure a bunch of things and then they make the cuts, welds, etc. SO if you're not right on, or don't pay attention to the instructions, it could screw up your experience.

For the most part, the reviews are overwhelmingly positive, and very few people ever return or remove them, from what I can tell. This "rooster tail" is nothing at all like you'd see behind a jet boat or something, or a go-fast boat trimmed way out.

Thanks... I really, really want to ride in an older boat that has one of these installed. I'm not sure there's any other way. Sounds just don't come through videos well enough for a fair comparison. And more than the money, I'm not sure I'd like to spend the time (hard to come by with two little kids) if I'm not 100% certain that I'd like the change.

Well I have surfed with it and in a video you don't hear engine just Walter rushing

SquamInboards
05-27-2016, 09:39 AM
Well I have surfed with it and in a video you don't hear engine just Walter rushing

Yeah... call me stubborn but I need the V8 sound. It could be quieter - I can clearly see the benefits of that - but I feel like it would change the whole character of the boat. I mean, my kids and even my DOG knows the sound of my boat coming in to the house. My son always asks me to rev it under the low bridge so he can hear the echo of the rev (great sound under a low steel/concrete bridge)... hmm.

Luvmysupra
05-27-2016, 09:43 AM
Yeah I do that with my kickass sound system [emoji2][emoji2]

scottschmitt
05-27-2016, 09:49 AM
My son always asks me to rev it under the low bridge so he can hear the echo of the rev (great sound under a low steel/concrete bridge)... hmm.

Doing it right.

cadunkle
05-27-2016, 02:09 PM
I would not do a FAE. I like how my boat sounds and I rarely surf. If you want it to be quieter than straight pipes just put some mufflers on it to knock the decibels down a bit.

CornRickey
05-27-2016, 03:28 PM
I would not do a FAE. I like how my boat sounds and I rarely surf. If you want it to be quieter than straight pipes just put some mufflers on it to knock the decibels down a bit.

Mufflers don't compare.

Luvmysupra
05-27-2016, 03:31 PM
Mufflers don't compare.

It's just a matter of preference on what your looking for. I like the sound of in inboard motor as much as the next guy. But I like the quietness for summer fun and super loud music. It's not drag racing its family fun

CornRickey
05-29-2016, 05:36 PM
It's just a matter of preference on what your looking for. I like the sound of in inboard motor as much as the next guy. But I like the quietness for summer fun and super loud music. It's not drag racing its family fun

Yea, agree, mufflers don't compare (to a FAE).

cadunkle
05-29-2016, 08:47 PM
To each his own, but OP expressed an interest in retaining some classic ski boat sound and did not want it completely silent. That's why I suggested mufflers.

SquamInboards
05-31-2016, 09:59 AM
To each his own, but OP expressed an interest in retaining some classic ski boat sound and did not want it completely silent. That's why I suggested mufflers.

You're right about that, and updated/improved mufflers might be the ticket. I suppose if I keep the boat long enough (it's been 10 years now, but you never know) I'll have to do floors, stringers, etc. and I could put in some better mufflers at that time. Right now, everything is under the floor, and under the fuel tank. And I'm fairly certain that the fuel tank was put in the boat before the cap was put on (a story for another time). So... it's a good idea that will have to wait.

Meanwhile, I'm considering this as a way to spend a little money on improving the boat: Airguide Speedometer GPS retrofit (http://nauticlaugic.com/AirGlide%20Packages.html)

At risk of hijacking my own thread, has anyone seen or used one of those? At $200 I'm not sure. At $100/each I'd probably do both speedometers, ha.

steinkda1984
06-02-2016, 12:29 PM
No I will highjack your thread. I bought the Airguide speedometer for my 2006 24ssv because the paddle wheel was broken. The GPS speedo works great, super easy to install and set up. My perfect pass works great with it and I am always right in sync withe GPS speedo I have on my phone.

Back to the thread at hand. I purchased a FAE and should have it within a week or so. I purchased it because surfing with 3000# of ballast makes that v8 rumble too much. When I am pulling a surfer I can't hear the person sitting behind me. When I first starting looking into the fae it was for CO purposes only but the sound reduction sealed the deal for me. Plus, I drive a v8 hemi with headers and flow master catbacks as a daily driver. I don't need a v8 rumble on the water too.

Luvmysupra
06-02-2016, 04:56 PM
No I will highjack your thread. I bought the Airguide speedometer for my 2006 24ssv because the paddle wheel was broken. The GPS speedo works great, super easy to install and set up. My perfect pass works great with it and I am always right in sync withe GPS speedo I have on my phone.

Back to the thread at hand. I purchased a FAE and should have it within a week or so. I purchased it because surfing with 3000# of ballast makes that v8 rumble too much. When I am pulling a surfer I can't hear the person sitting behind me. When I first starting looking into the fae it was for CO purposes only but the sound reduction sealed the deal for me. Plus, I drive a v8 hemi with headers and flow master catbacks as a daily driver. I don't need a v8 rumble on the water too.

Yes same for me and with running the ronix wedge rpms went up that would of made more noise

SquamInboards
06-06-2016, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the input, I'll be interested to hear how you like the FAE. And good to know on the speedo too - for the moment I've got one broken pitot so that's the issue on one side. The other one still reads... more or less ok. I actually ride more with a friend behind his boat than I do with mine. But I was kinda looking at the GPS speedo as a way to spend some birthday money.

Let me know how the FAE goes. My daily driver is pretty quiet, although not as quiet as some. I also have a 1961 Ford F100 with a 292 V8 but the exhaust isn't as loud as the tires on that truck, haha.

Luvmysupra
06-13-2016, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the input, I'll be interested to hear how you like the FAE. And good to know on the speedo too - for the moment I've got one broken pitot so that's the issue on one side. The other one still reads... more or less ok. I actually ride more with a friend behind his boat than I do with mine. But I was kinda looking at the GPS speedo as a way to spend some birthday money.

Let me know how the FAE goes. My daily driver is pretty quiet, although not as quiet as some. I also have a 1961 Ford F100 with a 292 V8 but the exhaust isn't as loud as the tires on that truck, haha.

And just like that someone stole exhaust system from boat [emoji35]

SquamInboards
06-14-2016, 10:00 AM
Woah, that sucks! Where do you keep your boat?! And... unless their boat is extremely similar, it's absolutely stupid because they won't be able to use it!

I'm lucky that my boat sits in the water all the time, so I'm confident no one is going underwater to steal parts off it. Although a friend found his prop on the bottom of the lake one day under his boat. Either a prank by some clever friends, or he somehow lost the nut and was lucky to back it off when he reversed into the dock while parking. Who knows....

Luvmysupra
06-14-2016, 10:05 AM
Woah, that sucks! Where do you keep your boat?! And... unless their boat is extremely similar, it's absolutely stupid because they won't be able to use it!

I'm lucky that my boat sits in the water all the time, so I'm confident no one is going underwater to steal parts off it. Although a friend found his prop on the bottom of the lake one day under his boat. Either a prank by some clever friends, or he somehow lost the nut and was lucky to back it off when he reversed into the dock while parking. Who knows....

Left it at a friends for the night on trailer so I didn't have to pull it an hour home. Ironically 2 houses down kid is a boat tech? And fae has told me that if anyone orders just the inserts from this area they will notify me[emoji848]

plav77
06-14-2016, 07:17 PM
I talked to a guy this weekend who took his off because if effected his surfing wake.
Anyone else notice this?

Luvmysupra
06-14-2016, 07:27 PM
I talked to a guy this weekend who took his off because if effected his surfing wake.
Anyone else notice this?

Doesn't effect mine at all and if it does its minimal plus the noise reduction while surfing is worth it

steinkda1984
06-21-2016, 10:02 AM
Installed my FAE last week. It about three hours. This is the best bolt on I have done yet. It was easy to install with little frustration and zero regrettable moments. We surfed and wakeboarded this weekend and what a difference. We can hear the surfer and have conversation and the stereo does not need to be as loud. It did not effect my wake at all nor did I experience any power loss. My favorite part though is cruising at about 30 mph and listen to how quiet it is. All you hear is the wind and water. NICE!