PDA

View Full Version : 89 Saltare wont start

supracalifragilistic
05-19-2016, 12:21 AM
Hey guys I have an 89 saltare with the 454. I pulled the boat out to get ready for the season and the boat wont start. I winterized the boat last year. My main concern at this point is that when i turn the key to the accessory position (first position) my injectors are spraying fuel for as long as the key is turned but when i turn to the start position the motor doesnt try to turn over i just get a weird whine? not a big engine guy but what would cause the injectors to be spraying fuel when the key is in accessory position?

michael hunter
05-19-2016, 07:07 AM
Did they put fuel injection on an 89?

gnarlydude
05-19-2016, 07:58 AM
You check your throttle or throttle cable? Or the carb directly?

Explain your start and correction procedures better to allow us to analyze it better...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

supracalifragilistic
05-22-2016, 05:35 PM
Hey guys I have an 89 saltare with the 454. I pulled the boat out to get ready for the season and the boat wont start. I winterized the boat last year. My main concern at this point is that when i turn the key to the accessory position (first position) my injectors are spraying fuel for as long as the key is turned but when i turn to the start position the motor doesnt try to turn over i just get a weird whine? not a big engine guy but what would cause the injectors to be spraying fuel when the key is in accessory position?

supracalifragilistic
05-22-2016, 05:37 PM
what do you mean by start and correction procedures?

gnarlydude
05-22-2016, 05:43 PM
Is it choking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

supracalifragilistic
05-22-2016, 05:47 PM
what do you mean by that? its not turning over at all

michael hunter
05-23-2016, 10:12 AM
The starter is not turning the engine or the engine is not trying to start?

suprasaltareaud
05-24-2016, 06:13 AM
When you turn the key you should get the starter motor turning. It sounds like your not getting that first part so it can't start. Fuel pump might be what is whining if it's electric. Can you give the starter motor a firm tap to see if it starts to turn when u turn the key.

supracalifragilistic
05-24-2016, 11:31 AM
gave the starter a good firm tap and still getting nothing:confused: Also still dont understand why when i turn the key one time to turn the radio on its feeding gas to the engine? It should only be doing that when i fully turn the key right? Is there anyway to post video to show you guys what im talking about?

supracalifragilistic
05-24-2016, 11:35 AM
The starter is not turning the engine or the engine is not trying to start?

not sure how to tell the difference. Are you able to actually see the starter turn? Sorry for my lack of knowledge here guys

suprasaltareaud
05-24-2016, 06:29 PM
The fuel injection is not original so maybe it was wired incorrectly. I could be wrong but there isn't an accessories as such on the key. U have ignition and start so that sounds right. When u turn the key to start it fires the starter motor and once it has started u let the key go it returns to ignition position.
To me it sounds like your starter motor is dead. You could wire stereo to direct power via a switch so u can run it without ignition.

suprasaltareaud
05-24-2016, 06:30 PM
You will here the starter turn. The cranking noise. Is the engine trying to start.

supracalifragilistic
05-25-2016, 03:19 PM
You will here the starter turn. The cranking noise. Is the engine trying to start.

No the engine isn't trying to start at all

middlegriff1
05-26-2016, 09:52 AM
If the starter isnt trying to run at all you could try putting both connections to you neutral safety switch on one post and start the boat IN NEUTRAL and see if that switch is bad. Or it could be the starter solenoid? Was your boat running before you winterized it? If it was that should eliminate the fuel pump being wired wrong, unless you did something to it over the winter?-> trying to eliminate a few easy things that would cause the boat to not start.

SquamInboards
05-27-2016, 09:53 AM
If the starter isnt trying to run at all you could try putting both connections to you neutral safety switch on one post and start the boat IN NEUTRAL and see if that switch is bad. Or it could be the starter solenoid? Was your boat running before you winterized it? If it was that should eliminate the fuel pump being wired wrong, unless you did something to it over the winter?-> trying to eliminate a few easy things that would cause the boat to not start.

This is a good direction to go in. Keep it simple.

It does sound like you're getting a change in sound when you turn the key from "ON" to "START" positions, yes? In this case it could be a start solenoid that quit, as mentioned above. Post a few pictures and we can help you better. It's possible to bypass the solenoid (temporarily) just to see if the starter will spin when power is applied to it. Then you know the starter is working and you can work backwards from there. I'm not as familiar with the 454 as with the 351 but there are plenty of others here who are.

As far as that injection system, it looks basically like a TBI (throttle body injection) system that replaces the carb. I don't know anything about that particular product but perhaps it sprays fuel continuously during startup and then regulates it more once the engine is running? This is total speculation. But don't worry about that system until you've got the engine at least turning over - meaning, the starter is literally turning the engine in an attempt to get it to fire, aka run on its own.

Keep it simple and don't change a lot of stuff chasing the problem. We can help you diagnose the issue first.