PDA

View Full Version : Shaft Seal Failure Help

kennyk69
05-19-2016, 01:57 PM
At the tail end of last year I thought the bilge had more water in it than usual, but we were doing a lot of surfing and dragging water into the boat. Then it seemed worse and I figured I had a leaky o ring in one of my bags. My bags all look good and now I suspect the shaft seal.

I just pulled the boat out to fire it up in advance of putting it in the lake for the season and with the "fake a lake" attached I noticed a solid stream of water coming from the prop shaft exit under the boat. I've either never noticed this before or the seal is shot....guessing the seal is bad.

I have dripless type and wonder how difficult it is to change?

I did a quick search and didn't find too much on the subject. It's not going to be fun cause the v drives suck, but how bad is it?

CJD
05-19-2016, 10:10 PM
I'm a bit confused. With the fake a lake attached you have water running from inside the boat to the outside at the prop shaft?

daniel.j.grossheim
05-19-2016, 10:45 PM
It sounds like he has the intake hooked up to the hose, with a drip less seal, meaning that is has pressured water to seal it, but I would think they would pour out water and keep the boat dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kennyk69
05-20-2016, 07:00 AM
I'm a bit confused. With the fake a lake attached you have water running from inside the boat to the outside at the prop shaft?

I was supplying water from under the boat at the raw water intake and noticed water exiting from under the boat at the prop shaft exit at the hull. I hadn't noticed this before but it could be normal at the seal is pressurized.....it was a lot of water however.

I'm going to float the boat today and find out what's going on.

Also checked out the "how to" on skidim.com........really not a bad job....doing it all in the blind, bent over, while bear hugging the drive will be a real treat. Might be a 3 beer job on a DD but I'm guessing this is a all day affair on a v drive. Humpf.

NoWake
05-20-2016, 07:10 AM
You should get water output at the shaft if the dripless is working. The question is did the inside of your boat get wet when you fake a laked it.? If so track from where...starting at the source water all the way through impeller, thermostat, exhaust and transmission cooler that supplies the dripless shaft. Good luck. I put a dripless seal on my direct drive couple years ago and get water out the shaft anytime I run on a fake lake. Just be sure to keep looking before going through the trouble of replacing.

kennyk69
05-20-2016, 07:57 AM
You should get water output at the shaft if the dripless is working. The question is did the inside of your boat get wet when you fake a laked it.? If so track from where...starting at the source water all the way through impeller, thermostat, exhaust and transmission cooler that supplies the dripless shaft. Good luck. I put a dripless seal on my direct drive couple years ago and get water out the shaft anytime I run on a fake lake. Just be sure to keep looking before going through the trouble of replacing.

You know I was so convinced the seal had or was failing it didn't occur to me to that if in fact it had FAILED water would/should seep into the bilge.....

NoWake
05-23-2016, 07:20 AM
I hear you. Speedway may be distracting you this time of year in Indy. It's incredible how much water comes out my shaft now.