PDA

View Full Version : Looking at used Supra Saltare

dbruesehoff
05-19-2016, 04:12 PM
Hi all,

New member here hoping some you guys can help me understand what else I need to look for when looking this thing over. I am not new to boats or the older Supras although it has been some time since I have looked one over. I am looking at purchasing a 1987 Supra Saltare, boat has 886 hours on it. I went and looked at it today interior was replaced maybe a year or two ago so it is like new, cover is also new along with trailer tires (basic stuff for the most part). The exterior was in a little rougher shape but clearly hasn't been detailed so it needs some TLC. Boat wasn't in the water at all last year as registration expired in 2014. It started right up after sitting for a few weeks so that was a good start. I checked over the engine, it needs some cleaning probably some hoses replaced but otherwise it didn't look terrible for 30 years old. I know the stringers are a concern for most people, the floor in the boat seemed really solid, I did some poking at what stringers in the engine bay and things seemed solid from what I could tell (not positive on what I should be looking at). Before I buy we would be putting it in the water to ensure it works as it should. I am also going to go back tomorrow to check engine compression but all seemed to be sounded from my 10 minute assessment. Right now the guy is at $7K but I am thinking this boat is more like a $6K boat.

Is there anything else I should be looking at/for when I go back? I am a little leery only because the boat is 30 years old but I absolutely LOVE The old Saltare's so I am looking for somewhat of a project boat as I like to restore things. We have family friends that have had a number of Supra's over the years and quite a few Saltare's and Sunsports and they have loved them.

I have some pics posted below.

Thanks for any help and feedback.

dbruesehoff
05-19-2016, 04:14 PM
Some pics of the engine.

PS I forgot to mention I am sure you guys get this question all the time so I apologize for the redundancy.

wotan2525
05-19-2016, 04:19 PM
FWIW, the guy that bought my boat looked at this one and seemed to think the floor had just been replaced. If that's true, I'd assume that the stringers are rotten. At the minimum, put a wrench (or have the seller put a wrench) on the engine mount bolts where they mount to the stringers. If they are soft or spin, you'll need to plan for stringer replacement.

I've yet to see anyone come on this board with a boat from this vintage that has solid original stringers.

scottschmitt
05-19-2016, 05:17 PM
Looks nice.
Small leaks on the riser gaskets. Not a big deal, but maybe should be fixed.
Check the transom fiberglass where the wakeplate bars attach, tends to get soft there.
Water test if you can. Check for water leaks and make sure the thing drives straight without wonky vibration.
Good luck on the motor mounts.
6-7k seems pretty much ballparkish.

crystal waters
05-19-2016, 06:28 PM
So based on above comments flat out ask the seller to his face if floor is recently replaced, if so who did work, and if so what were condition of stringers at the time. Were stringers replaced?

dbruesehoff
05-19-2016, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the replies so far guys. The seller is not the original owner of the boat. He took it on trade for some equipment (he sells large equipment and was trying to help a friend out by taking it on trade or so he says). He basically flat out told me he didn't know anything about them so he couldn't say much in terms of what had been done to the boat. I can tell you the interior looks like it was new/newer, can't say for certain that it was the entire deck replaced or just the carpet but the seats and carpet look new.

I will be sure to bring wrenches with me to check the motor mounts, that's a good tip would of never thought of it. I am sure the stringers are going to need replacing at some point I was kind of planning on that but I figured for $6K I could get a few decent years out of it with some TLC and cleaning, they are hard to come by in my area, at least in decent shape. I will give it a better once over tomorrow.

Anything else I need to be looking for?

Wulphie
05-19-2016, 09:34 PM
The beauty of a cheap boat is it takes very little fun to justify the expense. If it is sea worthy buy it and Have fun on it. All you have to do is have $2,000 dollars a year worth of fun for 3 years and you can give the boat away for free and you break even.

dbruesehoff
05-19-2016, 10:48 PM
The beauty of a cheap boat is it takes very little fun to justify the expense. If it is sea worthy buy it and Have fun on it. All you have to do is have $2,000 dollars a year worth of fun for 3 years and you can give the boat away for free and you break even.

Man that is a great way to justify it haha. I like your thinking.

dbruesehoff
05-19-2016, 10:49 PM
Looks nice.
Small leaks on the riser gaskets. Not a big deal, but maybe should be fixed.
Check the transom fiberglass where the wakeplate bars attach, tends to get soft there.
Water test if you can. Check for water leaks and make sure the thing drives straight without wonky vibration.
Good luck on the motor mounts.
6-7k seems pretty much ballparkish.

Whats the cost of repair on the riser gaskets? Assuming I just pull the risers off the manifold and replace the gaskets? If that's all it entails maybe a $50 job?

Sdc77
05-20-2016, 05:02 AM
it's not a 454 isn't it ?

Wulphie
05-20-2016, 05:35 AM
Man that is a great way to justify it haha. I like your thinking.

It is really the only way to look at it. How hard do you have to work for $6,000? How much fun can you have with the boat? If you have to work really hard for 6g and you can only use the boat once a month that is a bad investment in my opinion. If 6g doesn't take a lot of work to make and you can get the boat out and have fun once a week then that is a great investment.

I have 2 older boats, one is a Supra Pirata (same hull as the boat you are looking at) Between the two I probably have $12000 invested and I get out on average twice a week from beginning of May to the end of October. To me it is a great investment of my resources, we have a lot of fun. But honestly I would't spend a lot more money on it. I would never buy a $30,000 ski boat. The additional expense doesn't add up to more fun for me. If I had 30g to burn I would probably upgrade my Benz to a AMG hahaha, at least I can enjoy that all year around!

Good luck!

scottschmitt
05-20-2016, 08:14 AM
I replaced the riser gasket's on my Sunsport last year because they had the same stains on the outside of the manifolds. It wasn't too bad. 4 rusty bolts on each riser, scrape off the old gasket, re-tap the holes if you like, buy a new gasket and bolts from Skidim for a couple nickles, put new gasket on (in the correct orientation), torque it down. The challenge is just the rusty bolts. PBblaster and patience are your friends here. Some of the bolts are in an awkward position for an impact driver. I did mine by hand. Tighten ... loosen, tighten ... loosen. Eventually they come out.

As for the state of the stringers, you'd have to imagine that if they put in new upholstery and a new floor on without totally replacing the stringers, the stringers and motor mounts had to look at least ok. This might be wishful thinking.

If the motor mounts feel solid, chances are good you can get 6k worth of fun out of this good-looking ride.

Poorhouse
05-20-2016, 09:49 AM
Is that a hole cut in the top of the engine cover?

Maybe I'm looking at the picture wrong, but it sure looks like it.

If so does it have an overheating issue?

As has been mentioned stringers are the big issue.
After shopping old ski boats for 2 years I was worried enough about it to up my budget to $15k to get a newer composite boat.
Then an '86 Sunsport pops up that had it's stringers replaced for $5k...
The owner paid $7k for the job. Needless to say I bought it.

He knew he was spending more than the boat was worth. His take was that it was still much, much less than a newer boat would cost.
He liked the Sunsport, it is still a viable, fun boat.

He had a point IMO. If you buy this for $6k (or another one) get a few years enjoyment then take on a stringer replacement you're still in a good place financially vs. a newer boat.
Even better if you can do the job yourself.

dbruesehoff
05-20-2016, 10:23 AM
it's not a 454 isn't it ?

Looks like the 351 to me but I didn't dig to deep to confirm.

dbruesehoff
05-20-2016, 10:28 AM
Is that a hole cut in the top of the engine cover?

Maybe I'm looking at the picture wrong, but it sure looks like it.

If so does it have an overheating issue?

As has been mentioned stringers are the big issue.
After shopping old ski boats for 2 years I was worried enough about it to up my budget to $15k to get a newer composite boat.
Then an '86 Sunsport pops up that had it's stringers replaced for $5k...
The owner paid $7k for the job. Needless to say I bought it.

He knew he was spending more than the boat was worth. His take was that it was still much, much less than a newer boat would cost.
He liked the Sunsport, it is still a viable, fun boat.

He had a point IMO. If you buy this for $6k (or another one) get a few years enjoyment then take on a stringer replacement you're still in a good place financially vs. a newer boat.
Even better if you can do the job yourself.

Yeah the stringer issue is a biggie but if they are solid for now I can probably get 2-3 years out of it before replacing. I actually considered upping my budget to the $15K range but I personally love the old vintage style boats and I have a feeling this will become something I will end up restoring completely throughout my ownership. I would consider myself to be very mechanically savvy but after seeing pictures of a stringer replacement I will likely end up paying to have it done, seems like a really large undertaking. I would be able to pull the motor and seats myself but beyond that it might be out of realm of capabilities haha.

I have a guy that knows these boats in and out, he is going to join me today when I go to really dive into it.

Edit: I realize I didn't respond to your question about the hole. I am not positive that is there for extra cooling but I plan to water test the boat before I buy it so will check all of that out.

dbruesehoff
05-20-2016, 10:31 AM
It is really the only way to look at it. How hard do you have to work for $6,000? How much fun can you have with the boat? If you have to work really hard for 6g and you can only use the boat once a month that is a bad investment in my opinion. If 6g doesn't take a lot of work to make and you can get the boat out and have fun once a week then that is a great investment.

I have 2 older boats, one is a Supra Pirata (same hull as the boat you are looking at) Between the two I probably have $12000 invested and I get out on average twice a week from beginning of May to the end of October. To me it is a great investment of my resources, we have a lot of fun. But honestly I would't spend a lot more money on it. I would never buy a $30,000 ski boat. The additional expense doesn't add up to more fun for me. If I had 30g to burn I would probably upgrade my Benz to a AMG hahaha, at least I can enjoy that all year around!

Good luck!

Yeah if I decide to buy this boat it will get used at least once a week from now until winter. I had a 2000 Sea Ray 210 BR a while back and used that thing all the time but moved to CO for work and sold it as the lakes are few and far between out there.

I too would never spend $30K on a boat, just don't get enough use out of it plus I have more money in my sled than I will this boat and will probably use it twice and much as I ride in the winter so seems like a fair investment at this point. That is of course assuming things are sound and I don't have to dump a ton of money into this season, next season is whole different ball game:) I also just love the look of the vintage style boats anyway, the new stuff has too much tech in them to last more than 5-10 years. I promise the boats of today will not last as long as these boats have and will.

wotan2525
05-20-2016, 10:42 AM
You're a month late. I just sold my 87 with a big stereo, tower, 454 and all the toys for $14k. And it was local to you.

It's all about how you think of these boats. I think every single one of these boats is going to cost you $12-15k. It's just a matter of if you want to spend it now or spread out the pain/hassle for the next several years. I don't think this is a bad buy at $6k this time of year in this area. Just don't expect for that to be the last big check you write.

dbruesehoff
05-20-2016, 12:04 PM
You're a month late. I just sold my 87 with a big stereo, tower, 454 and all the toys for $14k. And it was local to you.

It's all about how you think of these boats. I think every single one of these boats is going to cost you $12-15k. It's just a matter of if you want to spend it now or spread out the pain/hassle for the next several years. I don't think this is a bad buy at $6k this time of year in this area. Just don't expect for that to be the last big check you write.

Yeah I am certainly planning on spending some money on it there is no question. Did you list it on CL? I think I may have seen it in passing. I also saw another one that was pretty nice condition for $11K but that appears to have been sold as well.

foxriverat
05-20-2016, 12:40 PM
Did you see this one? Shouldnt be too far from you. All composite. No wood. The gt40 engines are bullet proof. But needs some interior work and its a Pirata. http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/boa/5581906375.html

SquamInboards
05-20-2016, 02:11 PM
Looks like the 351 to me but I didn't dig to deep to confirm.

That sure looks like a 351 to me.

And the "hole" in the engine cover is the storage compartment built into the rear of the engine cover. Very handy I think, I keep a few small tools, spare impeller and belts, a few other odds and ends in there.

dbruesehoff
05-20-2016, 04:07 PM
Well heading over with some tools, compression tester and a friend of mine who knows his stuff with these boats (and moral support haha), wish me luck! Hoping we don't find any issues and I can get it for the right price.

dbruesehoff
05-20-2016, 04:08 PM
That sure looks like a 351 to me.

And the "hole" in the engine cover is the storage compartment built into the rear of the engine cover. Very handy I think, I keep a few small tools, spare impeller and belts, a few other odds and ends in there.

Good to know, it looked like a factory placed "hole" to me but I wasn't sure after Poorhouse brought it to my attention. Thanks for the info!

dbruesehoff
05-20-2016, 07:00 PM
Well guys just got back. Unfortunately that boat is a no go. Motor mounts spun easily inside the stringers and it had one cylinder at 90PSI while the rest were at 120. I had to walk away. The search continues.

PS thank you all for your suggestions and feedback, definitely helped me investigate a bit deeper.

crystal waters
05-21-2016, 11:13 AM
Well guys just got back. Unfortunately that boat is a no go. Motor mounts spun easily inside the stringers and it had one cylinder at 90PSI while the rest were at 120. I had to walk away. The search continues.

PS thank you all for your suggestions and feedback, definitely helped me investigate a bit deeper.

A close friend owns a major car dealership. He told me to never fall in love with a particular car for you can always find a nicer one tomorrow. I have since found this to be so true! The same can be applied to boats!
Good luck and much success in your quest.

cadunkle
05-21-2016, 08:06 PM
Glad you found out the stringer problem on that boat. More like $2500 range at best needing stringers and an engine rebuild. Pay now or pay later. Any wood stringer boat you plan on doing stringers unless it's been done and documented, just a matter of when. Just gotta crunch the numbers and be sure it's a fair deal.

DAFF
05-23-2016, 12:11 AM
By now all original wood stringer Supras need complete cap offs restos. Be patient the right boat will find you. Problem is summer is here and the prices are high, I would be waiting for fall....

DAFF
05-23-2016, 12:13 AM
Loving the white whale Pirata...

Poorhouse
05-23-2016, 11:03 AM
Sorry it didn't work out.

That is a good price on the 97 Pirata.

EFI and composite construction.

dbruesehoff
05-23-2016, 11:55 PM
I agree, that Pirata is nice, I am just really looking for the open bow for more space. I have found a couple Sunsport's in Texas that are in great condition, one is a 1991 and the other is a 1992 both same color and price, its a haul but based on what is available in my area I may have to make the trip. We shall see, of course now I have the itch and tend to get impatient when that happens lol.

The guy with the Saltare dropped the ad price down to $7450 and quoted me $6600 after I told him it would be $3-4K Max knowing all the issues. I am sure he is hoping for an unsuspecting victim to show up and buy it.

Moor
05-24-2016, 12:13 PM
Keep up the search, Glad you avoided this disaster of a boat. FWIW, i picked up my 88 Sunsport 454 3 years ago for $6500. It was (and still is) 110% original. Never had strings or floor work. The stringer bolts were as tight as could be, and the boat was in excellent shape. Fast forward 3 years of almost daily use 6 months out of the year, and being moored all season for 3 years, and i have developed one small soft spot on the floor by the spotters seat, and 1 engine mount bolt is just starting to spin. I can still snug it up pretty tight, and the others are very tight. In the last 3 years i feel i've gotten my moneys worth from this boat, and it should give me at least another 3 years before i have to start thinking about stringer replacement. Good deals are out there, just keep your eyes peeled and you'll find one.

dbruesehoff
05-30-2016, 03:55 PM
Well gentlemen, I found my boat over the weekend. 1988 Supra Saltare with the 454 and 686 hours. I had to go to Michigan to get it but you wouldn't believe what I paid for it ($3500). Made sure to water test it and it ran really well, shaft needed to be repacked but that was simple enough. Motor mounts are tight as a drum, stringers feel really solid when you knock on them with a hammer and the gel coat is like new. I spent the day buffing cleaning yesterday. Trailers gonna need some love at some point but it made the 600 mile treck without issue. The guy's father in law had a handful of personal mechanics that worked on all of his cars and equipment so it was very well looked after. It's going to need a new interior at some point but other than that the heart and soul are in damn good condition.

I bought this thing so cheap I'm okay if I have to put a few dollars into it. I have a few questions which I will post in a different thread.

A couple pics for your viewing pleasure :)

SquamInboards
05-31-2016, 01:11 PM
That looks like a nice boat, and a great price with the trailer. At a glance it does look well cared for. Good luck with it! And let's see some interior pics.

dbruesehoff
05-31-2016, 05:04 PM
I don't have many interior pics at the moment but will upload some when I get time.

zfgracing
06-01-2016, 10:15 AM
Was thinking about looking at the boat this thread is about, I'm looking for more of a project so realistically what's that boat worth or is it just a lost cause.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

zfgracing
06-01-2016, 10:16 AM
And op I wanted to look at that green one too! And is that an ecoboost? How does it pull?

cadunkle
06-01-2016, 11:37 AM
Sounds like you got it for a steal!

scottschmitt
06-01-2016, 11:38 AM
Well done there. Enjoy.

dbruesehoff
06-01-2016, 10:53 PM
Was thinking about looking at the boat this thread is about, I'm looking for more of a project so realistically what's that boat worth or is it just a lost cause.

Honestly the blue boat needs stringers, I went back again to look at it before I found the green one just to be sure I wasn't up for a project and you can take a screw driver and stick it into the stringers all the way down to the handle with almost no pressure at all. I would be leery running that boat for any length of time. I water tested it and the motor ran well although compression on all cylinders after the water test fell to just shy of 100PSI, started nice and had decent power, etc. The interior is new but the carpet would have to be replaced when you did the stringers so count that as a lost cause but the seat cushions, seat bases, motor cover etc are in great shape. Gauges were cracked but all worked. The hull has some gouges in it but nothing that can't be fixed. Trailer pulled nice but had a lot of rust on the fenders etc.

Considering the cost of Stringers and considering the boat I just bought, granted I found a diamond in the rough (IMO) I would say that it's not worth more than $4K in my eyes unless you're okay with losing some money on it or you plan to fix it up and hold on to it for an extended period of time. He's not moving off of $6K though as I tried a number of times to try to get him to negotiate. He's dropped the ad price from what started at $8450 to $7450 to now at $6900 so he's getting motivated. The other problem I had with it is he had no history on the boat, said he took it in on trader for a friend for some large equipment (he does forklift sales). So just the combination of the whole thing was concerning to me. I'm not going to say steer clear because for the right price that is a great boat if you're ready to chalk this season up as a loss to tear into the stringers because all the motor mounts spin in the holes almost by hand.

dbruesehoff
06-01-2016, 11:07 PM
And op I wanted to look at that green one too! And is that an ecoboost? How does it pull?

Yes sir, it is an Ecoboost. Pulls like a dream. I rented a 2015 F150 Eco to pull back from Michigan and did 75 the whole way with cruise on and the truck downshifted maybe 5 times the entire 10 hour trip, only time I could tell it was behind me was when I went to stop. Awesome trucks, I have my eye on a new limited once the wife gives me the thumbs up.

zfgracing
06-02-2016, 07:14 AM
Sounds like more of a project than I want, I was hoping it was one of those, you can run it this season and rip into this winter type things. :(

I'm 90% that boat was for sale in n Wisconsin near me last summer for 6k. I wanted it then but was broke as a joke! I'm hunting for any old supra, I would really like something a little bigger than a comp so I can go across the bay.

Well I guess back to the hunt.

Just need a boat to stick behind this girl!
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160602/2821dffc1a59b823e13552b871cbf5a3.jpg

dbruesehoff
06-02-2016, 07:06 PM
You'll find one, just have to be patient. I am terrible at doing just that and probably would have bought that blue and would be kicking myself now for doing that. I took a deep breath and waited 24 hours and had I not I would not of found that the green one that I landed on. Its hard to do but keep your eye's peeled and the right one will show up somewhere. I was literally searching every end of craigslist, onlyinboards, boat trader, etc. on a daily basis and then what do you know, one popped up. You'll find it.

lunaticseadoo
06-03-2016, 09:46 PM
The one you were looking at was in Buffalo, MN area? He said the floor was replaced, but nothing done with the stringers. He was a fast talker that is for sure. It did sell. not sure for how much.

dbruesehoff
06-05-2016, 09:35 PM
The one I was looking at was in Plymouth MN. Looks like ad is down so he must of sold it.

dbruesehoff
07-22-2016, 06:06 PM
Well wanted to throw out a quick update on my boat. I have been doing a lot of work on the boat new flex plate, new prop, wet sanding, polishing and some new decals. Boat is starting to come together. Interior will get done this fall and she should be good to go until the stringer resto in a couple years.

gnarlydude
07-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Dues you swim platform sit that high out of the water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cadunkle
07-23-2016, 04:23 PM
Looks about normal to me? Mine is just touching the water with a full tank. As it gets toward empty it'll be sitting a bit above.

gnarlydude
07-23-2016, 10:59 PM
Just checking...
My Sunsport sits lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasun
07-24-2016, 05:57 PM
Mine sits about 1" - 1 1/2" above the water. Looks like she's sitting alittle heavy.

dbruesehoff
07-24-2016, 09:54 PM
My swim platform brackets are a little bent so it sits lower in the water then it should, that's another item on the checklist. That's also with a full tank and locker full.

jasun
07-27-2016, 09:47 AM
My swim platform brackets are a little bent so it sits lower in the water then it should, that's another item on the checklist. That's also with a full tank and locker full.

Best way to get an idea is in the off season remove the rear seat, locker and gas tank. Take up the floor under the tank and you will see what you are in for. Plus if you want to change the swim deck brackets you have to get under there anyway. Also go to a stone quarry and weigh the thing. Supposed to be 3450 dry. Mine weight in at 4600 before i did the stringers.
Good luck.

dbruesehoff
07-27-2016, 11:37 AM
Best way to get an idea is in the off season remove the rear seat, locker and gas tank. Take up the floor under the tank and you will see what you are in for. Plus if you want to change the swim deck brackets you have to get under there anyway. Also go to a stone quarry and weigh the thing. Supposed to be 3450 dry. Mine weight in at 4600 before i did the stringers.
Good luck.

Yeah no doubt I will need new stringers at some point. Right now motor mounts are incredibly solid so I am not going to mess with it for a couple years.

jasun
07-27-2016, 06:31 PM
Yeah no doubt I will need new stringers at some point. Right now motor mounts are incredibly solid so I am not going to mess with it for a couple years.

Enjoy the built in ballast while you can!!! If weighted right the salt makes a good wake! Get a wake shaper!