PDA

View Full Version : 86 Sunsport stringer repair (among a list of other things)

awesomesteven
05-31-2016, 09:21 AM
I really don’t want to do a stringer repair right at the start of summer but I just can’t risk being out on the water with stringers in bad shape. Not to mention that the last time I put her in the water there seemed to be a few leaks coming from the stern. I’m guessing it’s either from where the platform bolts on, since there seems to be a few cracks around the area, or from the rudder plate (?) attaches to the bottom of the boat (it looks like it was just drilled on).

As you can tell, the wood for the seats on the front bow were all rotted out. It just crumbled! Honestly, it made removing the seat pretty easy since all i had to do is take my shopvac and suck it all up!

My truck is in the shop so I had to improvise on how to move the boat so I could start taking the cap off. I was surprised on how easy taking the cap off. It's just time consuming.

awesomesteven
05-31-2016, 01:00 PM
Two quick questions before i start tearing apart the floor and the stringers.

1. What's the easiest way to take the floor off? I was thinking about using a skill saw at about 1/2 inch to cut as much as I can and then prying up the rest around the hull. Is that a good plan? How did you guys go about "detaching" the floor where it connects to the hull?

2. What's the best way to make sure the new stringers I put in are the same as the current one's? Has anyone had any success taking old stringers out in one piece? I'm not sure how well this will go since mine might be pretty rotted out.

gnarlydude
06-01-2016, 08:59 AM
Where did you cut it loose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awesomesteven
06-02-2016, 08:14 AM
Where did you cut it loose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I could say I've started the cutting process but I haven't gotten to that point yet. Since I'm flying solo on this, and my truck is in the shop, removing the cap has been a slow process.
I'm jealous of you guys with access to forklifts and inside storage!

Okie Boarder
06-02-2016, 11:33 AM
Two quick questions before i start tearing apart the floor and the stringers.

1. What's the easiest way to take the floor off? I was thinking about using a skill saw at about 1/2 inch to cut as much as I can and then prying up the rest around the hull. Is that a good plan? How did you guys go about "detaching" the floor where it connects to the hull?

2. What's the best way to make sure the new stringers I put in are the same as the current one's? Has anyone had any success taking old stringers out in one piece? I'm not sure how well this will go since mine might be pretty rotted out.

1. I just started peeling up the floor and used saws or cutters with my grinder to cut various areas.
2. I did one stringer at a time so I always had the opposite side as a reference. I also did a lot of measuring before I removed anything.