PDA

View Full Version : Intake manifold question

DMAC5197
05-31-2016, 06:22 PM
I have a supra la brisa with the pcm 5.8 HO I am looking to add some ponies to it as well as switch to a 4 blade prop. I was wondering if I can just start buying 351w parts for cars, such as the intake manifold and bolt it on. Or are there specific marine parts ? I'm new to boating so any help is appreciated.

michael hunter
05-31-2016, 06:29 PM
Are you looking for top end speed or low end dig out of the hole. I think a prop will get you the most bang for your buck . Try Acme or Delta they are loaded with information about props.

DMAC5197
05-31-2016, 07:38 PM
Top end I guess. My boat pulls ok I just feel like it's too speed (40mph) is on the slow side.
Also I will make a new thread if need be but what's the reccomendation for bringing back the hull to glossy finish. I have some oxidation and ghost stickers I need to address.

michael hunter
06-01-2016, 07:26 AM
The boat you have has a displacement hull design much like a barge it was never designed to go fast . You can get a few more MPH with some bolt on modifications but I doubt it will be worth the effort. If you are looking for real speed like 50 MPH that will come at a high cost . I have some CorrectCraft buddy's that compete with each other for top speed . They are at the 50-55 MPH but have sunk thousands into their boats. Bottom line if you want speed get a deep V with an IO. If you want the best pulling boat on the water stay with your Direct Drive, Just maintain it and make it reliable it already has all the HP you need.

SquamInboards
06-01-2016, 09:37 AM
The boat you have has a displacement hull design much like a barge it was never designed to go fast . You can get a few more MPH with some bolt on modifications but I doubt it will be worth the effort. If you are looking for real speed like 50 MPH that will come at a high cost . I have some CorrectCraft buddy's that compete with each other for top speed . They are at the 50-55 MPH but have sunk thousands into their boats. Bottom line if you want speed get a deep V with an IO. If you want the best pulling boat on the water stay with your Direct Drive, Just maintain it and make it reliable it already has all the HP you need.

I'll second that. Talk to some prop people and maybe try out one or two - some places will let you try and return undamaged props so you can be sure it does what you want. Best bang for your buck by far.

This is like when people ask on the bmw forum how to make their 325 or 330 faster. The answer is, by the time you spend the money to make it much faster, you could have bought an M3 instead. Except in this case, an I/O would probably be cheaper than an inboard! Even better.

The fastest inboard I've driven was a Nautique with the 409. A $60k boat at the time. And it went.... 49 mph.

DMAC5197
06-01-2016, 01:23 PM
Cool. Thanks guys. I guess I can just switch props and forget about it. I've already went 40mph so I guess that is good for me orbit takes a ton to go 50. I'll be hitting these forums more info.