PDA

View Full Version : Tranny for an '87 Saltare?

skiman_61
06-03-2016, 07:00 PM
The consensus from my previous post and talking with my mechanic (I described the problem he's not seen the boat yet) seems to be that my transmission is about to give up the ghost. The existing unit is a Velvet drive, I don't have the model and numbers and whatnot. I know there are some members here who have all the part numbers for certain old Supra's memorized, so..... Suggestions for replacements would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

Jetlink
06-03-2016, 10:47 PM
Just rebuild the internals is my suggestion.

crystal waters
06-03-2016, 11:01 PM
Just rebuild the internals is my suggestion.

I whole heartidly concur!

skiman_61
06-04-2016, 01:48 AM
I whole heartidly concur!

Your experiences? You built one, bought the parts at, got instructions and a how to vid at.....?

crystal waters
06-04-2016, 09:29 AM
Your experiences? You built one, bought the parts at, got instructions and a how to vid at.....?

Several years ago had noises coming from tranny.
I did a lot of reading/ researching as to causes etc and in the end took it to a local marine shop for diagnosis and repair.
Being very particular about my boat and its care I was fully prepared if need be to order a new tranny and simply have it installed. However a new plate , springs etc was all that was required and I was able to escape with a bill of just under 600.00.
Tranny has run like a charm ever since.
A lot less money and was able to determine that a lot of the original parts in the tranny were still in great shape, no need to panic, simply replaced the defective parts.
Strongly suspect you will find this to be your case as well.
Good luck.