PDA

View Full Version : What Anchor do I need for my boat?

plav77
06-07-2016, 12:22 PM
Hello,
I have a 2004 Supra Launch and looking to get an anchor.
Hoping someone can tell me what type and size\weight it best for my boat?
Thanks!

Plum Nauti
06-07-2016, 12:26 PM
I am looking into the same thing. The search function netted a couple of discussions. I personally have a medium Danforth anchor. I don't have a chain in mine, and this seems to be the magical component to making it work for me.

plav77
06-07-2016, 12:42 PM
I am looking into the same thing. The search function netted a couple of discussions. I personally have a medium Danforth anchor. I don't have a chain in mine, and this seems to be the magical component to making it work for me.

So when you have a chain it doesn't work well for you? What model number of the Danforth are you using?

Plum Nauti
06-07-2016, 12:50 PM
At Academy(Local Sports Store) they basically have small medium and large. I have a medium size, not sure of the sku number. And as far as chain is concerned, it is needed to aid in the weighting of the anchor to properly set it. I'm guessing the actual weight is 7-10 lbs. The sea bed of the majority of the lakes I frequent is mud or silt. I think this should be considered when buying an anchor as well.

korey
06-07-2016, 05:33 PM
I've had a Wal-Mart 8# Danforth style anchor with 6' of chain for about a decade that has followed me through boats. it is "rubber" coated to help protect the interior of the boat a bit. It has served pretty well, but doesnt hook very well on the shale bottoms that I deal with at Laurel, Cumberland, and Dale Hollow here in KY. It does well on the river or if I can find some brush. Especially on laurel, I'm usually camping and have had the boat move around on me with a bow line to the shore, and the anchor keeping it off the rocks.

I'm considering ordering one of these:
https://www.wakemakers.com/slide-anchor-box-anchor-small.html

plav77
06-07-2016, 06:56 PM
Most guys on the Mastercraft forums use the Box Anchor also, I think that is what I will order.
iboat.com sells it for cheaper.
Probably going to get the Danik Hook and Shore Spike also - http://slideanchor.com/default.aspx

michael hunter
06-07-2016, 08:18 PM
Bass Pro 2- danforth anchors under 20.00 each 6' chain and anchor buddy for front.

MJHKnox
06-07-2016, 10:29 PM
Danforth and Chain. I'm not sure why some skip a chain.

ChillinOj
06-08-2016, 12:45 PM
Most guys on the Mastercraft forums use the Box Anchor also, I think that is what I will order.
iboat.com sells it for cheaper.
Probably going to get the Danik Hook and Shore Spike also - http://slideanchor.com/default.aspx

That's what I use plus a box anchor and the combo works really well. But I have a pretty sandy bottom so it's perfect for the box anchor.

crystal waters
06-08-2016, 01:54 PM
That's what I use plus a box anchor and the combo works really well. But I have a pretty sandy bottom so it's perfect for the box anchor.

Medium danforth and no chain.
When I cast the anchor I reverse to set the anchor into the silt or catch the shale and/or old sunken tree etc.
Works great every time!
I believe the key is to " set" your anchor
See too many simply toss their anchir in and expect it to hold.

trayson
06-08-2016, 03:22 PM
I believe the key is to " set" your anchor
See too many simply toss their anchir in and expect it to hold.

That's why I LOVE my box anchor. you do exactly that, toss it over the side and it just holds without you having to do a damn thing. If this thread were over on the Moomba forum everyone would be screaming box anchor. they are amazing and I wouldn't go back.

If you want something that you toss out and don't have to worry about whether it'll hold, it's the way to go.