PDA

View Full Version : Best ballast upgrade for '08 Launch 24SSV

Spencer Free
06-07-2016, 02:08 PM
I recently purchased a 2008 Launch 24 SSV and am going to upgrade the factory ballasts in the rear lockers. I've seen a few older threads about this, and the consensus seems to be that 1100 lbs bags are the way to go for the best wake, but there are some references to 1100 lbs being a little too big for the rear lockers when filled (but not clear if those comments were directed at 24SSV lockers). Just curious if anyone has had issues with that size bag in the rear lockers, and if so, what they were. Has the sundeck stepway on the starboard side made a difference in terms of the correct size (ie, 1100 lbs fits fine on port side locker but not starboard)? Any preference between the Fly High Pro X Series Jumbo V-Drive Surf Sac vs the Ronix Eight.3 Telescope CTN (or some other one)? Thanks.

Spencer Free
07-08-2016, 08:50 AM
I talked to Spencer at Wakemakers, and he confirmed that the 1100 lbs Fly High would fit and that the Moomba Bagbuster Rear Factory Upgrade package was the way to go (includes ballast and necessary fittings and fill hose extension). Link below. Even though I placed my order after their cutoff for getting orders out, Spencer got it shipped that day, which meant it arrived in time for the 4th of July weekend. I ordered two upgrade packages and installed them both in 15 minutes. No problems so far, and they have made a huge difference in the wake. I'm still tweaking but have found that I'm getting a better wake without filling the center ballast. Pic below is with only my wife, 11 yr old and me in the boat at 12 mph with plate at 50%.

https://www.wakemakers.com/supra-and-moomba-750-rear-upgrade.html

MJHKnox
07-13-2016, 01:01 PM
That is the same kit I know other 24 owners are installing on '06s, '07s, and '08s.

Broke Pilot
07-13-2016, 10:09 PM
Just grab the 1100's. They fit just fine. You will need to reinforce the engine divider doors. Go to tractor supply and grab two 3' long pieces of 1/8" angle iron and some screws, drill a few holes and mount the angle iron diagonally across the doors and it stiffens hem up very nicely. It costs about $6 to make what wake makers sells.
Also, don't worry about buying the hose extensions, supra was kind enough to leave a really handy way to reroute the full hoses to the front of the compartments, so it effectively gives you an extra 4' of hose! You do need to cut some zip ties and snake them back up towards the sprinkler valves, but it's not hard... We have faith in you! Lol