PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Flex Plate - Need HELP/Verification

dbruesehoff
06-09-2016, 07:46 PM
Hi guys - I bought the flex plate from a local supra dealer and they said the one I have will work in my boat. I got the old one out and side by side they are different but the splines line up with the transmission shaft and there is no binding when it is in the transmission. Also the overall diameter is identical as well as the bolt holes. Can someone who has replaced one take a quick peak to make sure before I install this thing? Picture attached. Dealer said the part number changed so wondering if it's supposed to be slightly different.

CJD
06-09-2016, 10:42 PM
The new one is a much sturdier one. Note how masculine the springs are compared to the original sissy springs. Put it in and run it!

Also, did you figure out what on the old plate was causing the noise? Usually it'll have cracks or broken springs, but I don't see that on yours.

dbruesehoff
06-09-2016, 10:53 PM
The new one is a much sturdier one. Note how masculine the springs are compared to the original sissy springs. Put it in and run it!

Also, did you figure out what on the old plate was causing the noise? Usually it'll have cracks or broken springs, but I don't see that on yours.

Rock and roll!! Thanks for confirming, I just wanted to be sure. And I did figure it out, the spline is loose on the ID of the Plate, when I originally pulled it apart I thought the same thing you did, started to think I was chasing my tail!! haha. Here is a link to the video.

https://youtu.be/sZIT3Yrf5h0

CJD
06-10-2016, 09:09 AM
Great...glad you found it! I think that little play would eventually allow the plate to beat itself to pieces.

Also, I'm impressed...you do really fast work!

SquamInboards
06-10-2016, 09:28 AM
I replaced my plate a few years back when it failed completely. When we took it out, my friend who is an excellent welder noticed that the weld holding the splined piece to the plate was like 80% air pockets. It's amazing it lasted as long as it did!

And I do remember thinking the new one looked a good bit beefier than the old one...

dbruesehoff
06-12-2016, 10:03 AM
Great...glad you found it! I think that little play would eventually allow the plate to beat itself to pieces.

Also, I'm impressed...you do really fast work!

Thanks man. I got it all back together, cleaned the bilge up while I was in there and was back on the water this weekend. I did notice that the new flex plate is a little noisier at low speeds, assume that is normal since this one is a little beefier than the old?

Also, had some troubles late in the day not transmission related (at least I don't think) that I will post in another thread. Boat ran great most of the day until the last leg home. Couldn't get it up on plane and wasn't able to run over 15 MPH and could barely keep it running at the launch to load it up. It's always something!

dbruesehoff
06-12-2016, 10:04 AM
I replaced my plate a few years back when it failed completely. When we took it out, my friend who is an excellent welder noticed that the weld holding the splined piece to the plate was like 80% air pockets. It's amazing it lasted as long as it did!

And I do remember thinking the new one looked a good bit beefier than the old one...

Yeah the old one I pulled out was in pretty rough shape. All the rust made it feel like it was going to crumble in my hands.