PDA

View Full Version : Fuel light stays on, gauge working 87 Comp ts6m. PCM 351W stock heads. 240HP?

Hidden Hearth
06-15-2016, 06:17 PM
Hi guys,

I'm a newbie, just purchased an 87 comp ts6m. I'm working on a plan to fix some things.

1). Fuel light stays on, gauge works. How is it wired and what should I check first? Is there a secondary float in the tank or one float and two sensors? Is this difficult to access?

2). Temperature gauge doesn't register. Engine runs fine but I want this fixed ASAP. I assume I should ground the probe wire and this should peg the gauge. If the gauge is ok do the sensors go bad? where do I source? Is there a good way to test all the idiot lights. Is there a manual that explains the logic and wiring of these lights.

3). Engine has been running without a thermostat. I have a new 143 degree on order. Anything I should be aware of. Would the gauge register without a thermostat in 60 degree water? I have read all the posts on engine cooling and they are a huge help. Thanks!

4). New DUI ignition/ignition wires/plugs. I have the distributor and wires on order. Which plugs should I use? Should I gap to .055? Where is the best place to run the power wire to? Does the existing tach wire run to the old distributor?

5). Prop is original. New Acme 543 on order. Also ordered puller and new hardware.

6). Engine idles high around 1000 rpm, assuming the tach is correct sounds like it should be set for 600. I read through the Marine Mechanic guide for power tuning the Holley. I assume this is the procedure to start with? The prop drags forward in neutral, the VD was rebuilt a year ago. I have read the VD threads sounds like it could be many things. Could it be related to the high idle? Hopefully a linkage issue but probably not. PO said it started doing that after rebuild. I noticed that quite a bit of throttle movement is required from neutral to engage forward and reverse and then subsequent throttle increase. Can the required throttle movement before forward and reverse transmission engagement be adjusted/reduced? There is also some side play and corrosion on the throttle/shift lever, can this part be sourced?

7). Boat is on Deep Creek Lake in Western Maryland. Elevation 2500 Feet. Anything special required for that elevation?

Many Thanks, sorry for so many questions, lots of work to do!

Blackntan90
06-23-2016, 05:36 AM
Check with skidim .com, have been my source for years- Vince and company are a great help. Best of luck! Used to ski at DEEP crrek when we where kids, 30 years ago. Much different place then.