PDA

View Full Version : Pulling the trigger on a 2016 SE 550

OKSurf
06-16-2016, 12:30 AM

So I have been dealing with my local dealer and finally drove the 2016 SE550.
Conditions were less than ideal with a good chop on the water but not every day can be glass.

First impression is a solid boat out on the water. We had some big chop at times and we stayed dry the entire testing.
Once we hit the other side of the bridge and used it to shelter from the wind I then tested the surf wave and some of the bells and whistles.

Stock ballast, 2 people on board, stock Supra settings on the display.
Surf was very impressive at about 11.2 mph. Tried both regular and goofy. I think with some extra tweaking it will be a great surf machine.

Something that's going to take a bit to get use too is the sound of the engine. That 575 likes to wine. Yes I know its supercharged but its a way different sound then the normal rumble of a Indmar or PCM.
There is no lack of power but it almost seemed like the prop would cavitate when starting out fully loaded. Mind you this could be the sound of the supercharger winding up as I did watch the RPM's for this.

My only negative I have to say is the time it takes to fill the stock ballast. it was about the 13-14 minute mark to be completely full once we started. I did look it up in the user manual tonight and that's the expected time.

Any other feedback on the SE550 would be great.

wotan2525
06-16-2016, 11:05 AM
GORGEOUS boat. I've not seen another 575 owner on here....... Is that trailer stock with 3x axels or is that an upgrade?

Mischief IV
06-16-2016, 11:31 AM

My only negative I have to say is the time it takes to fill the stock ballast. it was about the 13-14 minute mark to be completely full once we started. I did look it up in the user manual tonight and that's the expected time.

Any other feedback on the SE550 would be great.

Beast of a boat. Beast of a motor. Congrats!

Isn't stock ballast at 3200 pounds on that boat? 385 gallons of water in 13 min. doesn't sound that bad to me. I'm sure there are faster pumps but that's like filling 7.7 standard bathtubs in 13 min. I think the only negative would be the price tag on that thing, but that's just me.

daniel.j.grossheim
06-16-2016, 01:36 PM
I'll buy it from ya in a few years ;) beautiful boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJHKnox
06-16-2016, 06:50 PM
Do you have a lift or going to trailer it?

The beast of a boat will need a beast of a truck to haul it around.

I'm curious to see how many 15/16s will be on the used market in 17/18. I assume they are not making that many ($$).

I would tint the windows.

OKSurf
06-16-2016, 08:22 PM
GORGEOUS boat. I've not seen another 575 owner on here....... Is that trailer stock with 3x axels or is that an upgrade?

Yes the trailer is a stock Boatmate. The dealer has an option when doing the order of a tandem or tri, most dealers put the tri axel on the boat because it pulls so much nicer.
On a side note, Boatmate is next door to Skiers Choice and they work a lot together. It shows when loading and unloading how smooth it goes on.

OKSurf
06-16-2016, 08:32 PM
Do you have a lift or going to trailer it?

The beast of a boat will need a beast of a truck to haul it around.

I'm curious to see how many 15/16s will be on the used market in 17/18. I assume they are not making that many ($$).

I would tint the windows.

Yes the windows will get tinted. I did it to my MXZ and it loved the look. The boat will sit on a trailer as the lake is 10 mins away.

wotan2525
06-17-2016, 10:35 AM
You, sir, have great taste in boats.

ngavchris
06-17-2016, 02:25 PM
Yes, I agree.. Definitely "great taste in boats."
Why did you get rid of the Malibu, what made you decide to switch over to Supra?

OKSurf
06-17-2016, 02:35 PM
Yes, I agree.. Definitely "great taste in boats."
Why did you get rid of the Malibu, what made you decide to switch over to Supra?

I started off with an X80 but that was a beast to haul around and it didn't surf very well. Then to the MXZ but dealer service sucked. Always had my 88 Comp and always happy with the dealer so I decided to try out the SE550.
So far so good for the dealer service.

MJHKnox
06-20-2016, 05:33 PM
Those are good looking boats.