PDA

View Full Version : Prop shaft threads trashed

Poorhouse
06-16-2016, 09:44 PM
Replacing the prop with an Acme 543.

Original OJ Legend prop, but it has been off in the past. No cotter pin and stainless prop nut instead of brass.

Nut came off OK, maybe a bit stiffly but I thought that was the nylock.

Old prop came off easily. Get new prop position marked, new key fit perfectly.

Begin to install new brass prop nut and it won't start, uh oh...

Run my thumb around the threads and get a nasty metal sliver. Looking at the shaft and original nut and they look to have been cross threaded or maybe Ste stainless nut galled?

Has anyone else run into this? Am I going to be able to chase the threads or is the shaft FUBAR?

The shaft is 3/4 x10?

CJD
06-17-2016, 08:33 AM
You can try running a die over the threads, and then see if a new nut will come up to torque without stripping. Of course, if it strips the shaft is FUBAR.

middlegriff1
06-17-2016, 08:40 AM
Might have to take it to a machine shop if you can't get the die to fix it. Let us know how the 543 works for you, I am looking into that same prop.

Poorhouse
06-17-2016, 09:10 AM
Die on order. Overnight shipping, should be here tomorrow.

Sunday is suppose to be nice and I have new prop fever. Hope this works.

Moor
06-17-2016, 03:32 PM
i switch to an Acme 541 last year from my original OJ prop, and holy cow what a difference! Felt like a different boat. The 543 is a little more aggressive than the 541, but i have a 454 in my sunsport. The 543 should be perfect for a small block if you want to load up ballast for surfing.

I hope the die will clean up the threads enough to get a new nut on there. It would really suck to have to replace the shaft. Good luck, keep us posted.

Poorhouse
06-19-2016, 10:56 PM
Threads cleaned, saved the shaft.

Can I get a hallelujah!

Only had to work the die on the end. Nut spun on freely after that.

New prop is on. Was hoping to get to the lake this afternoon but the weather didn't look good. This weeks should be better to try it out.

BTW - Moor - nice selection of vehicles. I've got a 97 M3.

Moor
06-20-2016, 02:12 PM
Glad to hear your salvage mission was a success Poorhouse. Hope you make it out for some boat time soon. Thank you, i love my old BMW's, especially the M3. I just picked up another 95 That needs a little love. I really trying to NOT keep it and make it a track car. It's supposed to be a quick flip, We'll see how that goes lol. Is yours a coupe, vert or sedan?

Poorhouse
06-20-2016, 03:42 PM
It is a slicktop sedan with 5 speed.

This is my first "modern" BMW. I had a 1600 and 2002 tii in the 80's.

I've wanted one for years, finally decided they aren't going to get any cheaper and jumped on this one last year.

It's been great, the wife and son love it as well. He always wants me to drive it so we can go fast. He likes it when we power out of corners. Good times.

Moor
06-20-2016, 05:20 PM
a slicktop M3/4/5. I'm a little envious i must admit. Glad your enjoying it, They are truly exciting cars, and my favorite car i've owned to date. They definitely arn't getting any cheaper from here on out. You chose a good time to buy one.

korey
06-20-2016, 06:50 PM
e36 M3s are a common car here! 94 Alpine white/Dove grey here + e36 (318 chassis, s50 powered) NASA GTS/TT/PT/E2/whatever-class-we-decide-to-cram-it-into race car.

Poorhouse
06-21-2016, 08:08 AM
That sounds like fun.

There used to be autocrosses around here but they lost their space and shut down.

That would have been fun to try with the BMW.

Moor
06-21-2016, 11:04 AM
Im taking mine to Autocross this sunday :) I'd love to get some real track time in sometime. Either of you guys on BFC?

Poorhouse
06-21-2016, 11:22 AM
I am, same username.

I'm also on M3forum with same username.

I have some details about my car there.

Here's a link:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=540337

korey
06-21-2016, 11:39 AM
I've pretty much given up all autocross, and most track days for endurance racing. if I can't torture myself for hours at a time in the car, I'd much rather be at the lake. They're competing for all of the same resources - weather, time, finances - and the boat win's almost all of the time!

Blackntan90
06-23-2016, 05:29 AM
Poorhouse, don't forget to lap that new prop onto the shaft- VERY important step as it can cause the shaft to break and loss of the new prop! I also have a new ACME, not sure of the number off the top of my head- love it!

Poorhouse
06-29-2016, 11:01 AM
I did lap the prop to the shaft - thanks for the reminder.

Had it out for the first time yesterday. Noticeable improvement in acceleration, speed and smoothness.

Money well spent.

SquamInboards
06-29-2016, 11:10 AM
Glad the new prop worked out well! Be sure to add details to the Prop Specs sticky for others' reference if you get a chance.

On the other half-topic of this thread, I got hooked on "old" bmws by a friend who had several. I had always thought of them as unobtainable, but quickly learned they're pretty easy to work on and if you can do that, you can save a ton on maintenance and still have a great car. My DD is a 2003 325xi wagon 5-speed manual. Just about the perfect balance of fun and function in any car. I'd love a little more power though...