PDA

View Full Version : Vents on engine dog house

ACF
08-15-2007, 09:24 AM
I've noticed in a lot of pictures of older Comps, the enigine house has a wooden vent on the back. Mine (1988 Comp) does not have this vent. It seems, to me, getting more ventilation in there would surely be a plus. I am curious about why some had it, and others didn't. Anyone have any ideas ? I am in the process of restoring my boat and wondered if this would be a good modification.

vintner
08-17-2007, 02:19 PM
If the wooden "vent" you are referring to is like the one on my Supra Mariah, it's actually the door for a storage area.

ACF
08-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Maybe that is what I am seeing. There was a 90 model Comp on ebay yesterday that had this, and I have seen it in several other pictuures. It just looked like a vent to me, but I suppose it could just as easily be a door.
Thanks for the reply, this had my curriosity going.

selle92
10-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Some of the older 90's supras did have a wooden door for storage on the rear of the dog, and looked like a vent but wasn't. It just looks like those bi-fold doors in houses with slats.

However, I had considered putting a vent on the front and rear of the dog house for air flow thru there. Just didn't know how much noise it would add, so I decided against it.

IndyMatt
10-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Most of the true 'vents' even on the older supras are a kind of forced air intake usually in front of the windshields and vented out the rear of the boat. I would warn against venting the doghouse as that will increase cO in the passenger area; not to mention noise and smell. As was mentioned the storage doos were teak and louvered as a style accent that also let wet articals (ski gloves, towels... etc) dry and not promote mildew.