PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Stow your gear while towing!

SquamInboards
06-24-2016, 08:36 AM
In the past week I have seen 5 lifejackets, part of a boat cover, and a few other miscellaneous things that obviously blew out of somebody's boat as they got on the highway. I don't even live that close to a boat ramp - or, put it this way: the highway on-ramp I'm talking about is the opposite direction from the nearest ramp. So these people were traveling at least 15 miles at the minimum, starting on the interstate.

STOW YOUR STUFF! I'm sure no one here has ever had something blow out of their boat while towing...

. . .

On that note, I had one thing happen that was so bizarre I still can't quite believe it. Long story short, my sister's boyfriend was towing my boat to upstate New York from New Hampshire, about a 350 mile trip. Using a borrowed truck. I was understandably nervous, but I'm not a big worrier. So then I get a text message picture of my driver's side vent window in my back seat. WTF??? No explanation at the time.

What happened was, they were going through a construction zone lined closely on both sides with Jersey barriers. He was watching the mirrors to be sure he was staying centered and had plenty of room, and looks back to see the vent window popped OUT - this is while they were going about 65 he said. Nowhere to stop obviously, so he ignores it - what else could he do? He looks back a minute later and it's gone. At the next stop, they take a walk around the boat, sure enough, vent window no longer attached to the windshield. But there it is, IN THE BACK SEAT. Through a magical bit of wind current, it landed safely, in one piece, in the boat. HA!

. . .

Looks like a beautiful boat weekend up here in NH - I hope people are getting out this weekend! Cheers.

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss116/stepper61/lake17.jpg

korey
06-24-2016, 12:15 PM
I live right on I75 about half way between Cincinnati and the (southern) Ohio Navy's lake of choice - Lake Cumberland in KY. I frequently ride a Hyperlite Bylerly 137 that I found on the side of the interstate. Had a damaged molded in fin that I fixed, and ride it out of spite! I cant count the number of boats I see running down the 3 lane interstate with bimini tops up, boards in racks, life jackets tied to towers, etc. The jackets tied to towers cracks me up, because I'm sure they think they're helping dry them - but judging my the buffet of dead bugs on my tower after making the same tow, they're really just junking up their $80+ vests!

wotan2525
06-27-2016, 03:34 PM
This happened near me recently..... As a motorcyclist it scares the hell out of me whenever I see people with things hanging off on the interstate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDoerxecKF8

dbruesehoff
06-27-2016, 10:10 PM
This post made me laugh because on Sunday morning.... I lost a pack of 4 orange life vests out of my boat. Been up and down the highway over a dozen times with them in the same spot, not one issue. I turned around and went back to get them and what do you know, someone already had their grubby hands on them and they were no where to be found. Needless to say this was a good reminder, if it isn't strapped down its likely to fly out!!

PS that motorcycle video is crazy, hope that guy was okay.

Blackntan90
06-28-2016, 05:35 AM
Ever notice how much your trailer bounces over a bridge/bump at 65+ mph? I almost lost a couple of seat bottoms because of said bounce(boat is stapped to the trailer), now I place a bungee cargo net over the boat when trailering- might look weird, but all my parts are there at the ramp!

dbruesehoff
06-28-2016, 06:32 PM
Ever notice how much your trailer bounces over a bridge/bump at 65+ mph? I almost lost a couple of seat bottoms because of said bounce(boat is stapped to the trailer), now I place a bungee cargo net over the boat when trailering- might look weird, but all my parts are there at the ramp!

The cargo net is actually a great suggestion, never thought about it, might look into one of those.

SquamInboards
06-29-2016, 11:13 AM
One of two times my boat has gone more than about 2 miles on its trailer, I put EVERYTHING loose up in the bow, including seat cushions. With an open bow, yeah a net would be a good idea actually. I'm lucky I don't have to tow very often! My boat hasn't been on its trailer in 3 years actually.

SquamInboards
06-29-2016, 01:53 PM
This happened near me recently..... As a motorcyclist it scares the hell out of me whenever I see people with things hanging off on the interstate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDoerxecKF8

This video got featured on Jalopnik... it's making the rounds of the interwebz it seems...