PDA

View Full Version : Weighting a Saltare

jasun
07-04-2016, 11:53 AM
I am trying surfing behind my 86 salt. I currently have about 1100 pounds in the back. I can move about 450 of that around the boat. I am using a homemade wake shaper. How does anyone else weight down a salt for surfing?
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160704/d9f5ca4b8a1096acb8a7a55ad1e3a4a4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasun
07-04-2016, 11:54 AM
Here is a short clip with all the weight in the back and 3 ppl in the boat. https://vimeo.com/173368035

SuperSam
07-08-2016, 04:00 PM
I love surfing my salt I set up with an 800lbs and 400lbs sack on the side of the dog house then 300lbs of sand under the rear seats then 2 people in the back and one in the front or another 400lbs sac in the front. I also use a suck gate on the opposite side to clean up the wake. So in total usually run 1500-2000lbs also if u slow down the wave gets steeper and taller or speed up to make it longer. I can post a vid as well.

SuperSam
07-08-2016, 06:36 PM
I love surfing my salt I set up with an 800lbs and 400lbs sack on the side of the dog house then 300lbs of sand under the rear seats then 2 people in the back and one in the front or another 400lbs sac in the front. I also use a suck gate on the opposite side to clean up the wake. So in total usually run 1500-2000lbs also if u slow down the wave gets steeper and taller or speed up to make it longer. I can post a vid as well.

Here is a video of a buddy trying to 360 he is goofy so it's on the right side but similar weight set up and both sides surf great with the suck gate. Hopefully that gives you an idea of what the salt can put out for a wave it is usually between knee and waist high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://vimeo.com/173972349

1990Saltare
07-17-2016, 04:38 PM
We have one fat sack in the rear locker and another on the floor, about 1000 pounds total. Surfs awesome any where from 7.5-10 MPH. Usually two adults and two groms:)

Moor
07-19-2016, 11:57 AM
nice 360 SuperSam. I just started working on those. I weight my sunsport with 700lbs between the rear seats and doghouse, 400lbs in the rear ski locker, and 400lb-500lbs on the front seats, the long way so it goes up into the open bow seats. I use a home made suckgate on the opposite surf side and im getting a very nice, thigh to waist high wave at 10.5mph. thats with myself and 1-2 other people in the boat. All the bags are centered in the boat so it doesn't list to one side.

1990Saltare
07-19-2016, 12:53 PM
Why do all my pictures come up sideways?

jasun
07-20-2016, 10:00 AM
Here is what I got with an 800 on the back seat, a 540 on the port side and about 300 on the starboard side. I had a 540 full in the front but took some out. My wake plate is about 5/8" up. I've done s stringer job so no additional wet foam ballast. Sucgate b. https://vimeo.com/175550238

jasun
07-20-2016, 10:01 AM
https://vimeo.com/175551080

Jetlink
07-20-2016, 02:13 PM
I've done s stringer job so no additional wet foam ballast.

Who knew back in the 80's that Supra was building in an "amazing" ballast system?

jasun
07-21-2016, 11:11 AM
Who knew back in the 80's that Supra was building in an "amazing" ballast system?

Lol. Right? I spent a bunch of money to take out 1300 lbs of ballast!

SuperSam
07-21-2016, 11:43 AM
Jasun that looks like a nice wake man!!! To the rest of you do you still list the boat with suck gate? Or not at all? My suck gate is probably only at about 20degree angle off the back so it's not very pronounced but we still list and then it cleans up the wake a ton.

Moor
07-21-2016, 12:02 PM
Jasun that looks like a nice wake man!!! To the rest of you do you still list the boat with suck gate? Or not at all? My suck gate is probably only at about 20degree angle off the back so it's not very pronounced but we still list and then it cleans up the wake a ton.

i run my ballast even so the boat does not list. I have a 35 degree angle on my suck gate (still pretty mild compared to others). I found that moving the suckgate vertically up and down the hull has a big effect on size and shape. I also started angling the suckgate so the front is pointed down about an inch and a half. That makes the suckgate more parallel with the wave at wake surfing speed, and help cleans up the wave and keep the swim platform above water. The plate im using on my suckgate looks to be bigger than what most of the guys here are using, so idk if it will have the same effect.

SuperSam
07-21-2016, 12:17 PM
i run my ballast even so the boat does not list. I have a 35 degree angle on my suck gate (still pretty mild compared to others). I found that moving the suckgate vertically up and down the hull has a big effect on size and shape. I also started angling the suckgate so the front is pointed down about an inch and a half. That makes the suckgate more parallel with the wave at wake surfing speed, and help cleans up the wave and keep the swim platform above water. The plate im using on my suckgate looks to be bigger than what most of the guys here are using, so idk if it will have the same effect.

Good to know thanks I may have to start playing around with it more... I got kinda stuck in the it ain't broke and it's a nice wake so don't fix it mindset... Sorry about the thread hijack I love seeing all of us with saltares they are pretty beastly throwing a surf wave!

jasun
07-24-2016, 05:50 PM

Can you send a pic of yours? I'm running mine at 90* off the boat.