PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Supra Launch 22SS Motor Shut Down

Batty
07-05-2016, 03:08 PM
I recently purchased a 2000 Launch 22SS. I was pulling my nephew on a wakeboard using the perfect pass. We hit a wave that was not terribly significant but on the impact the motor shut off. Volt Meter, Tach, PP and Oil temp gauges are all inoperable with the turn of the key. Ignition engages the started and motor tries to start but sounds like it is not getting fuel. All dash switches are operational as well as audio system. No visible loose connections under the dash or on the ignition. No visible connections that came loose in the motor compartment. I am not the most handy of persons but want to see if I am missing something simple before taking it in to be looked over. Looking for helpful ideas.

roosm
07-06-2016, 02:34 AM
First off, tell us what motor you have in it. Carb / TBI / MPI ?

If it is a carb or throttle body try pouring a small shot of gas straight down the throat of the carb/throttle body. If it starts and then runs for 1 second before shutting down you have a fuel-problem. If it is TBI, you can just look at the injectors sitting over the throttle body. While cranking they should be spraying fuel, if they are not, you have a fuel problem.
If it is fuel injected you would have to check this by testing the pressure on the fuel rail, which requires a pressure gauge.

Next step would be to get a spark tester at a local auto store and see if you have adequate spark, that is, if it is not a fuel problem.

Mike

Batty
07-06-2016, 01:18 PM
CARB. It is the Indmar 330. Does anyone know if there is a kill switch somewhere on the boat? I can't seem to locate one and that is something I have recommended to rule out.

wotan2525
07-06-2016, 03:44 PM
This to me is an obvious electrical problem. Check the wires at the distributor as well as all fuses and circuit breaker on the engine. Clean and make sure your battery terminals are tight. There is a kill switch somewhere -- I'm not familiar enough with that model to tell you where it is, though.