PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank Removal

ACF
08-21-2007, 04:22 PM
I have a 1988 Supra Comp. It has sat 10 or 12 years with a half tank of gas, which is now turned to varnish and crud. I am thinking I will probably need to remove the tank to clean it out, but I am not sure how to go about it. I read in one of the posts that you can remove the ski rope locker to access the tank, in another post someone mentioned removal of the rear seat, which I haven't figured out how to do. Any thoughts or words of advice will be appreciated.

ACF
08-25-2007, 01:17 PM
I guess everyone is out on the lake this week, so I'll answer my own questions. The back seat on my 88 Comp was easy to remove. Just take out the screws on the bottom and give it a little tug forward. Tank looked okay, and the old gas I pumped out of it didn't have any trash. I was going to remove tank and clean out or replace, but it is pretty much glued in there with all the foam around it, and I couldn't budge it. I think I am going to pour a few gallons of fresh gas in there, let it sit, haul the boat around to slosh it real good, let it sit some more, and then pump that out through a filter and use it in my old tractor. If that looks good, I am going to just go with what I got. I may add a clear in-line fuel filter for now to watch what comes down the line. I already replaced the rubber lines, and existing fuel filter / separator (with a spin on). I have been running the engine, for tuning purposes, with a small portable gas tank and a water hose connected directly to the output hose from the raw water pump, which is missing from the boat at this time. This set up works fairly well. I am amazed at how good the engine is running after sitting so long.