PDA

View Full Version : NEW TO SUPRA...Need advice

gibbie_5
07-08-2016, 01:38 PM
Hi Guys,

My name is Dean and I'm in Michigan. Looking to purchase my very first boat for my family and I. I've been around boats my whole life, and used to work on the Marine Patrol in the county live in so I'm not completely unfamiliar with what to look for in a boat, but I am not familiar with SUPRA boats. SO....here's a boat that I'm going to look at early next week....I need some insight

1991 Supra Mariah
550 hours
351 Motor
Trailer
Barefoot Boom
Snap Cover
4 Blade Prop

I'll attach some pics of the boat for reference. I have asked the current owner about stringers and floor stability and he's assured me that everything is in pristine condition. The pics would lead me to believe that he's telling the truth. What do you guys think???? Based on what I've seen available, I think he's asking a decent price....there's a lot of junk out there to sift through!!

wotan2525
07-08-2016, 02:34 PM
Looks like a really nice boat! I'd check everywhere for signs of rotten wood -- soft floors, engine mount bolts tight (and not hanging out at all), etc. If that checks out and you think the price is fair, I'd grab it.

jasun
07-08-2016, 03:10 PM
Bad comes to worse go weigh it. You can find out what the factory weight was. My Saltare was almost 1200lb heavy with wet foam and wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poorhouse
07-08-2016, 03:44 PM
They say it's a matter of when not if with the stringers.

We don't know the price on this one. If it is cheap and you feel like you could tackle the stringer issue in the future then go for it.

If it isn't that cheap and can't do the job yourself or want to spend $5k + to get it done right keep looking.

gnarlydude
07-08-2016, 04:25 PM
Looks like a beaut!
But I agree, count on the floor and factor that I'm your price.

If the guy who's selling it is honest, he'll know the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crystal waters
07-09-2016, 08:16 PM
Hi Guys,

My name is Dean and I'm in Michigan. Looking to purchase my very first boat for my family and I. I've been around boats my whole life, and used to work on the Marine Patrol in the county live in so I'm not completely unfamiliar with what to look for in a boat, but I am not familiar with SUPRA boats. SO....here's a boat that I'm going to look at early next week....I need some insight

1991 Supra Mariah
550 hours
351 Motor
Trailer
Barefoot Boom
Snap Cover
4 Blade Prop

I'll attach some pics of the boat for reference. I have asked the current owner about stringers and floor stability and he's assured me that everything is in pristine condition. The pics would lead me to believe that he's telling the truth. What do you guys think???? Based on what I've seen available, I think he's asking a decent price....there's a lot of junk out there to sift through!!

the weight of the Mariah is 2800 lbs dry.
your fuel capacity is 37 U S Gallons

The mariah is a great boat for family, an all round performer! one of my favorites!

SquamInboards
07-11-2016, 08:42 AM
Any update on this boat? Looks like a really nice example.

Here's what I got from the pics: This boat is black, and if it had NOT been kept inside most of the time, the gelcoat would have been badly faded by now with the age. OR it would have been buffed and waxed numerous times, and the decals would likely not have survived all these years in what looks like original condition. This is a lot of speculation, but it's pretty rare to see a boat that looks that original where it wasn't also treated very well throughout its life.

Second, it looks like it has the Pro-Tec ignition system (you can see the plug wires coming off the ignition module under the cover in the rear). This isn't a big deal while it's working. But these are generally famous for having weird intermittent issues and MOST people will just replace the whole system with a new electronic distributor. Skidim.com sells a complete kit for ~$500 I believe. If this were my boat, I'd be counting on that expense in the near future based on my experience with those units. Otherwise, it's a great engine and 550 hours is not a lot for that age. My '89 is at 1590 hours... not the original engine, mind you.

My only question is, what is the white-ish looking material that looks like it's under the engine mounts along the stringer right there? Also, the exhaust hoses look fairly new. I can think of only one reason why there would be any material between the motor mounts and stringers. I bet you can guess.

I also have the closed-bow version of this exact boat, and have had it for 10 years. It's not the best ski wake, but it's good for everything else, for family hauling, wakeboarding, surfing, cruising. Good luck!

Moor
07-11-2016, 02:26 PM
I also noticed that white piece of material that the motor is mounted too. Proceed with caution.