PDA

View Full Version : Routine replacement

skiman_61
08-22-2007, 10:19 PM
How often do you guys replace your belts/impeller etc?

Trying to avoid breakdowns, thinking ahead. Think I might go ahead and replace them .

Two of my bearing buddies are spitting a bit. Any hints there?

myturndad
08-23-2007, 08:48 AM
i replace my impeller every spring and keep the old as a backup if it is in good shape.

as far as belt, every 2 years.

REB
10-04-2007, 11:49 PM
At the end of every season this is what I do:

Change Oil
Change Transmission Fluid
Flush Engine
Add Fuel Stabelizer in a Full Tank of gas
Run Antifreeze through engine and fog all cylinders

Charge Batteries once a month with inline trickle charger

Start up in Spring:
Flush Antifreeze from Engine
Change Plugs
New Impeller- Keep old impeller in boat for back up if still in good shape

Always Always keep a set of new belts in boat along with a thermostat you never know when or were rubber will break.

I live by this and have never been stuck out on the water when something breaks. I did have a belt break this past season and my wife said kids we are done for the day. I just pulled out a new belt and in five minutes we were back borading and skiing.

ACF
10-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Spitting bearing buddies ? Could simply be too much grease in there, or if it is a lot it may be worth the few dollars to replace one and see if it helps. If so, replace the other. Water pump implellers, are real cheap compared to what an old one coming apart can cost you. I agree with what has already been said. Replace it every season, and keep a spare on board, along with spare belts and tools to change all of it. Another handy item to keep on board is a fuel line for an outboard motor. I once used one of these, with the ends cut off, to limp a boat back to dock when the fuel pump failed. Just bypass the pump by conncecting between fuel filter and carburator, and squeeze the bulb often enough to keep fuel in the carb bowls. That was twenty years ago, and I've never needed to do it again, but I still carry one of those hoses. It's no fun to paddle one of these boats.