PDA

View Full Version : Ski Pylon

gnarlydude
07-12-2016, 01:03 PM
Is anybody out there still using these? I wanted to pick somebody's brain about them.:confused:

Jetlink
07-12-2016, 05:33 PM
The stock one or are you talking about the "Skylon" variety?

gnarlydude
07-12-2016, 05:53 PM
Skylon.
I bought one, trying to save a few bucks restoring the host before putting in s tower. So thought it'd be self explanatory to put in but now it looks trickier somehow. Plus, the Supra sunsport pylon is on more of an angle than my old Ski Supreme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasun
07-12-2016, 08:34 PM
I bought a used fly high x pole and it works great. Had to adjust the cables to fit mine but once it was set, it does great

NorCalPR
07-12-2016, 10:12 PM
Yup. Run one on ny closed bow boat. If closed bow, running a tower you arent gaining much except speaker space...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SquamInboards
07-13-2016, 08:53 AM
It does take a little adjusting to get it right once, but yeah, I ran one for many years in my boat. I would have never gone for a tower over the pylon except for my desire for shade for the kids.

gnarlydude
07-13-2016, 09:29 AM
Can anyone send me a photo of how their's goes together?
I think I'm missing a piece or two.

jasun
07-13-2016, 12:29 PM
Mine is just one piece.

matt k
07-13-2016, 02:44 PM
I don't think you could screw mine up. The bottom half goes over the stock pylon, and the pin goes through it. Then the top half fits on, and you ratchet down the forestay. Done.

gnarlydude
07-13-2016, 05:06 PM
Too easy...
You're right.

cadunkle
07-17-2016, 08:19 AM
I use one. Far cheaper than a nice tower (New Dimension) and gets the job done. Eventually I'll spring for a tower, board racks would be nice as would a bimini. Also my pylon moves around a bit on the factory tapered pylon. Probably should make a tapered spacer or something for it so it's on there solid.

gnarlydude
07-17-2016, 01:42 PM
How much overlap on the shaft? This is what I have?
Doesn't seem like enough? Do I have to re drill???

IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160717/6361ee6c52c713f5aa12f0c12fc67f2f.jpg[/IMG]

Ron7741
07-19-2016, 09:00 PM
Does anyone know why the Supra's ski pylon is tipped back, and not straight up and down like just about every other inboard ski boat ? I'm thinking there is a specific reason, but just can't figure out why... I'd like to put a Fly'n High X-pole on my Supra, but was worried it wouldn't work right seeing how the pylon is on an angle, and also, how does the X-pole fit over the sky pylon with that cross pin ? I'm assuming you have to remove the cross pin to install the X-pole, if that's the case, how do you remove it ? it allmost looks like there may be a set screw on the top, and one facing forward, but I've tried an allen wrench and It doesn't seem to be a set screw, not sure what's going on there. Also, is the X-pole a good choice ? is it good quality ? My boat came with a Bare foot international bare foot ski pole, mounted to the ski pylon, I was very impressed with the build quality of the bare foot pole, that's why I was considering the X-pole pylon extension Please share your thoughts, and thanks for any information.

gnarlydude
07-20-2016, 02:54 PM
Ron, I just hammered mine out.
It's larger on one side than the other, I think.
I'm going to use a bolt to hold it on when I slide the pole over however, and just keep the cross pun in the glove box.

As for the angle on the pole, I'm going to try it out and see [emoji1317]

gogger
07-20-2016, 09:06 PM
I have a skylon in the basement that I used on the pirata if anyone needs it let me know.

Fuscanini
11-10-2016, 07:50 PM
Hi all. I'm in the market for a pylon extension for my '87 Saltare and am looking for any advice / feedback. I know I'll probably get some "just get a tower" responses but that's not happening.

A few of the pylon extension threads have been quite helpful but some are outdated so I thought I'd reach out for any updated info. A couple questions...

- Ears: On a 2009 thread I read you had to punch out the ears on the pylon (as opposed to cutting them off) before using the extension. Is this still the case in 2016?

- What are the recommended models? Fly High, Skylon Fat pole? Are there any others to consider. Just looking for general likes/dislikes if anyone cares to share.

- Is the leaning factory pole an issue? From what I've read it doesn't seem to be but thought I'd ask again.

Thanks for your time!

gnarlydude
11-10-2016, 08:11 PM
I punched mine out and drilled a larger hole in the pylon. Then it matched tight up (91 sunsport). Just sold the boat.

gnarlydude
11-13-2016, 09:04 AM
Skyon

Fuscanini
05-21-2017, 03:45 PM
Before I pull the trigger on a pylon extension, one last question: Am I going to run into any space issues because of the love seat? I have about 1/2 " between the seat and the pylon at the nearest point. Pic below.