PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Exhaust Manifold!!!

plav77
07-13-2016, 01:42 PM
So my boat started running rough after a couple trips out on the lake.
I took it in today and I have a cracked driver side exhaust manifold!
Questions
1) Anyone know the best place to purchase one online?
2) I winterized my boat (1st time) but guessing I didn't do a good job. Used my fake a lake and sucked antifreeze in until it came spitting out the back. Guess I should have sucked out the water first......live and learn.

Jetlink
07-13-2016, 01:53 PM
What engine? I would check with Skidim first for the manifold, just ordered a new elbow for my boat as I am fairly certain my heating issue is there. Cheapest place I could find the part was Skidim.

plav77
07-13-2016, 03:19 PM
Thanks, they just called me and the head is cracked also!
Indmar Assult 320 engine.

gnarlydude
07-14-2016, 10:02 AM
Ouch.
Sorry about that.
Wanna get rid of your old engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SquamInboards
07-14-2016, 10:06 AM
What engine? I would check with Skidim first for the manifold, just ordered a new elbow for my boat as I am fairly certain my heating issue is there. Cheapest place I could find the part was Skidim.

How's your oil look? Here's hoping it's "only" a head and an exhaust manifold.

And, not to hijack this thread, but jetlink - what led you to order the elbow?

Jetlink
07-14-2016, 10:14 AM
And, not to hijack this thread, but jetlink - what led you to order the elbow?

With my temperature issues, the issue is most likely a failure of one or more of the water cooling passages in the elbow. Based off the fact that the manifolds themselves are within a degree of each other and the issue starts in the elbow. I checked and cleared all the passageways in the elbow and the manifold so I am betting I have a small pinhole or larger hole that is allowing exhaust gas to get to the water jacket side and interfere with the flow of water hence the decreased velocity and diminished output out my port exhaust compared to the starboard side or even the port side before I dropped the boat in the water. I just sealed everything yesterday afternoon and will be testing here in a few hours. Hopefully I can report back with good news.

SquamInboards
07-15-2016, 10:10 AM
With my temperature issues, the issue is most likely a failure of one or more of the water cooling passages in the elbow. Based off the fact that the manifolds themselves are within a degree of each other and the issue starts in the elbow. I checked and cleared all the passageways in the elbow and the manifold so I am betting I have a small pinhole or larger hole that is allowing exhaust gas to get to the water jacket side and interfere with the flow of water hence the decreased velocity and diminished output out my port exhaust compared to the starboard side or even the port side before I dropped the boat in the water. I just sealed everything yesterday afternoon and will be testing here in a few hours. Hopefully I can report back with good news.

Hmm I like the theory, and if that solves your issue I might go for a new riser/elbow myself. It's a nagging issue that I've band-aided with the silicone hoses. And while my engine was rebuilt ~400 hrs ago, the manifolds weren't touched except to clean them out like you did; they could have a ton of use and/or could have had some little failure like you're describing.

Jetlink
07-15-2016, 11:34 AM
Well, it sort of solved the problem. I got it so that my temps are closer together however the port riser is still getting a bit toasty for my liking. More troubleshooting to follow.