PDA

View Full Version : Starter issue or connections?

Plum Nauti
07-15-2016, 12:20 PM
So, this past two week ends I have struggled with a starting issue. First issue began after a hose came loose from a ballast bag. Filled the bilge a good bit, and the accessory belt was slinging water around. Went and and sat for a while and aired things out. Shut the motor off, then when trying to restart.......dead. Like no battery juice dead. Had 12.8 volts showing, but it was like there was nothing when turning the key. I was able to bump over and start with a screw driver at the starter solenoid. Now this is where it is a little pest. I started the next day, no problem. Take back to the boat ramp and click, click, click till it finally engages. Enjoy the day with no problems. Then this past weekend, cranks right up on shore. Back into the water and it is clicking again. Finally starts, then no issues the rest of the day. Might I have moisture somewhere? Or might this be just a cleaning of the terminal connections of the starter?

This is an '07 21V Indmar 325

wotan2525
07-15-2016, 03:19 PM
If you can start it when it only clicks by jumping the starter terminals with a screw driver, then your problem is a bad starting solenoid. If your starter is original from 07, I'd probably replace the entire thing.

michael hunter
07-18-2016, 09:35 AM
Ckeck for voltage at the S terminal of the solenoid when the key is turned to the start position. If there is voltage replace the solenoid if not its the IGN switch or wiring.