PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

1990Saltare
07-17-2016, 04:16 PM
So sorry in advance for the newbie questions but I have done a fair share of snooping and have not found the answers to my questions.

I have a 1990 Supra Saltare in great shape mechanically, the stringers need to be redone:) but she throws up a great wave with our fat sacks and I plan to make a suck gate soon. We get out on the lake 10-20 days a year?

Okay now for the questions,

Where can I get replacement parts for this old girl, especially the instrument panel section, small side windsheild, and windshield seal?

Also how much can I expect to pay to have the stringers redone if I pay a shop, if there even is one here in Colorado that can do it?

Last but not least I see a lot of awesome older boats on here. What are peoples feeling about redoing these old boats as opposed to buying a newer one? Is it worth it to put 10 grand in to this Saltare over the next couple of years or should I sell the boat and use that money to buy a newer 30 thousand dollar boat? What is the new boat going to give me that I don't already have?

Best radio and speakers for this boat?

Thank you in advance!

middlegriff1
07-17-2016, 06:25 PM
Replacement parts can be found at skidim.com. As far as windshield stuff i don't think anyone carries stuff like that but i could be wrong. If you find out who carries the side window let us know. I also have a buddy that needs a replacement one too. I think for stringers average is 3500 to 4500. Have the shop send you pics while they are doing it.

As far as the "is it worth it?". There are a bunch of us the like the more classic looking boats v. the newer boats. You can also, spend the money as you go with an older boat instead of paying all upfront. The best things about the newer boats I think is that they are composite, faster, handle wake better and seem to put better wake out along with newer bells and whistles. I love the look of mine, but if i fell onto money i'd be looking at a 2012 SA450 Worlds in a heartbeat. Biggest thing is a newer boat will also eventually need maintenance and those are going to be more expensive to fix.

As far as best radio and speakers, it depends on your price range. I like the cheapo kenwood marine headunit and remote hookup. I went with the cheapest marine polk speakers because they matched my interior and i dont need to spend a whole lot. They are good enough for me. I have buddies with thousands wrapped into their boat's sound and they blow mine out of the water and sound great but I don't feel the necessity for that.

1990Saltare
07-18-2016, 10:50 PM
Thank you! Your boat is Awesome looking!!!!

middlegriff1
07-19-2016, 09:14 AM
Thanks! Good luck with yours!